Cold.

Okay. Let's fast forward a few weeks from that night. To summarize all the insanity, me and Lucas and together. I didn't see it coming.

I tried to keep it a secret from Riley for such a long time. I guess Riley felt the change because one day, when we were sitting at the bay window, she told me the unthinkable.

I'm staring in to space.
"So, why do you think Zay chose Yogi as his chem--", I start.
Riley grabs my hand. Her palms are sweaty. Almost in cue, I can feel humidity in mine too. Something about this vibe is just making me.... nervous.
" Maya... You can date Lucas."
This takes me by surprise.
"Wha--what do you mean?"
"I learned my lesson. The universe is done with me and him."
"So?... What are you trying to say.."
"I want you to date him now, Lucas told me what happened between the two of you guys. It's ok!"
"But... He chose you.. At the ski lodge.."
" No.. It's just you didn't.."

This takes me back for a second. Why did I reject Lucas? I know this may sound crazy, but I might love him! I don't know... I don't know..Why did I reject him? Oh yea, Joshua Matthews. I shift uncomfortably close to Riley, our shoulders now touching. I kind of want to avoid the whole Josh subject. I want to feel close enough.. To know what she's saying.

"Lucas thought you had Josh, he wouldn't have given you up so easily if it wasn't for him. Go for it, Maya."
"What Riley?"
"Lucas is waiting for us downstairs.. Let's go."

Riley grabs my wrists. Dang, she can be so spontaneous sometimes. Wait?.. Lucas is downstairs.. Now?

I laugh nervously. "Riles... you sure you know what you're doing?"

"Yea peaches. Just follow me. No more questions!"

We run down the stairs, stopping to a halt.. As we see Lucas. Lucas is standing there. It's hard to describe how he looks, but this reminds me of New Years in the eighth grade. Handsome... But unsettling.

Lucas has flowers in his hand. He bends down on one knee. I wonder what's going on. Crap. He's looking at me.

"Maya... Will you take me as your boyfriend?"

Before I can even think, he grabs me... Then kisses me. I can't help but kiss back. We stand there for was feels like... An eternity. Riley just smiles at us, jumping up and down in excitement.

Lucas and Riley then sit me down and told me what they came up with. Riley explains how Lucas has an aggression when he's with Riley, and that it's not healthy. Riley explains how she had this made up version of Lucas in her head. But, now that she knows who he REALLY is, she only likes him as a friend.

" You were the one who really liked me for who I am," Lucas explains.

I decided to give it a go.

"Sure, why not, ranger Rick?"

Riley's POV

I know this may seem weird, but Maya needs Lucas. She probably never told you this... but she's been breaking the law a lot lately. She does graffiti with these new groups of friends she has around her neighborhood.

Lucas has been where she's been, and can bring her back. Kind of like an anchor. At least I think he is for Maya.

After the big fight the night of Farkle's birthday bash, I came to a conclusion. I didn't know Lucas. I was playing with a fantasy in my head. It was a hard pill to swallow, but, I finally did. I'm glad that Maya said yes to him. I mean, I have to give my best friend what is rightfully hers.

Plus, I know she's probably forgotten, but she's playing the long game. She.. just doesn't know? At least, I hope that's the case. Maya has a good reason to forget about Josh, though. She's probably never told you.

We were on the subway, when we saw Josh in the station. Being the giggly teenagers we were, we hid behind a pillar, and watched him. Well.. okay. Maybe it was ME giggling. But time to get more serious. He.. Was with this girl. They were standing by one of those mini coffee shops in a station, facing eachother, laughing. Josh had a beanie on, a red one. It had been so long since I saw him wear one. The girl looked familiar.

"Riles, I don't like how this makes me feel," she says, clutching on to my arm.
" Maya, I'm sure there's a good explanation for this. This was probably just a one time thing."

But, it wasn't. He met with her in the station EVERYDAY before school. 86 days, to be exact. Maya even counted. This was before Farkle's party.

One day at the subway, we see them somewhere different. They're stepping on a train. We look at the electronic sign on the subway train. "Albany, New York DEPARTURE AT 4:58 P.M".

The girl that Josh was with was pretty. She had a face like Jessica Alba. Her body, slim and petite. Few curves, which revealed the fact to us that she was born skinny. She went to NYU. She had glossy brown hair that naturally lightened, like an ombre. Her hair was thick, but the ends of her hair weren't blunt. It was wispy and light. She dressed like a normal college student, normally wearing an NYU sweatshirt.

Josh and the pretty brunette.. were holding hands. Josh was smiling at her, she was smiling back.

Sure, Maya had dates to the spring formal. Maybe, she even danced with them. Maybe, she even applied lip gloss before their date. Maybe, she even lightly kissed them.

But, it seemed that Josh was serious about this girl. I mean, Albany New York? That's REALLY far away. To what length or distance does a relationship go until you have cut off because you're waiting for someone? Or, to what length or distance does waiting go until it's too far?

Maya gave up on him.

I honestly gave up on him too.

"Maya.. there are other fish in the sea.." I console her. We're sitting by the bay window freshmen year. Summer is right around the corner. Instead of our flowy dresses and rain boots for spring, we have on daisy dukes and loose hanging t-shirts.

"He's always with her.." she continues, her voice staggering.

"You guys never were exclusive.. he encouraged you to date at first! C'mon Maya, maybe he's just doing the same thing!"

"But, what if he's not? What if.. I'm.. I actually have no hope."

Maya bursts in to tears.

"Hope is for suckers," she finishes.

I never thought I'd hear that coming out of Maya's mouth again. Hope.. is for suckers? Maya's not being Maya anymore. Josh really hurt her.

Remember how I mentioned that Maya started graffiti again? This was her first project.

On the image of "hope" at the park we used to go to, with the statues, Maya covered the whole thing with black spray paint.

The new words: Liar, sucker, and hopeless.

Scribbled in with cat-like writing.

That's why Maya belongs with Lucas. Like he said, he would never hurt her. And by that, I mean the REAL Lucas. Not the fake Lucas that I fell for.

Maya and Lucas started dating.

On their first date, Maya doesn't pour a smoothie on his head. Times have changed. They really have.