III.

The next time you see Shiro, his injuries aren't nearly as bad as before. A hairline fracture, a cut, a bruise. Part of you is relieved that he hasn't been hurt so badly, but another part of you wishes you had an excuse to spend more time with him. It's been years since you've had human company; it reminds you of Ellythria.

As you begin healing, you ask quietly, "Rydak?" Shiro nods, and you're not really sure how to feel. On one hand, the fact that he could beat all three Galran gladiators means he gets to stay alive. But you wonder if a life as Zarkon's plaything will really be much better than death. Gladiators live to fight. The Galrans will want to turn Shiro into a weapon, a killing machine. You don't know what lengths they'll go to to accomplish that.

However, there's also a part of you clinging to the hope that this means you'll get to see Shiro more often. If he's the Champion, he'll be fighting fairly frequently, meaning he'll be injured fairly frequently. If they want him to fight as much as possible, the Galrans will want to heal Shiro as quickly as possible, meaning they'll send him to you. You hate yourself for thinking in such a selfish way, but you can't stop the idea from dancing in your head. It's been two years since you've had anything even faintly resembling a friend. It's been two years since you've even had a real conversation.

"I guess you're the Champion, then." You say, healing the hairline fracture on his left forearm, "Well. Officially, at least."

"Please, don't call me that." He frowns, "I don't want anything to do with these...monsters."

"At least you're alive," you respond, "That's what matters most." He falls silent for a moment, then looks up at you.

"Is it?"

You blink, unsure of how to respond since he basically just put your own doubts into words. You move your hands to a cut on his arm as you consider the question. After a beat, you say, "Maybe it's selfish, but I've been alone on this ship for two years. You're the first kind person--the first human--that I've spoken to in that time. I don't know how much longer I would have been able to bear healing Galran soldiers and gladiators and druids. I don't know how much longer I would have been able to bear the monsters. So, for me, right now, the most important thing is that you're alive." You stare at the cut you're healing on his arm as you speak, embarrassed at how fervent your voice sounds. You're trying not to be too intense--it's not like you're in love with the guy--but being held prisoner, surrounded by vicious, violent aliens for two years, has taken its toll. You really don't know how much longer you would have lasted if you hadn't been given this one small thing to cling to--another person.

Shiro places his hand on top of yours, and you realize your fingers are shaking on his arm. The cut is completely healed.

"I'm sorry." He says, and the sincerity in his voice makes you want to cry.

You jump as the door to your cell swings open, and pull your hands away from Shiro's, turning to face the intruders. Two Galran guards--you can never tell if it's the same ones every time or not--enter, heading for the cot.

"He's healed?" One asks, voice gruff. You nod mutely, and the guard grins. "Good. We have orders to take you to Haggar, Champion." This time he's addressing Shiro, but your blood runs cold at the name of the witch. You stand without thinking, crying out, "No!" Shiro turns to look at you, startled, along with the Galran guards. They seem amused by your outburst.

"What's wrong, star-boy?" The same guard who spoke before asks, "I thought you liked Haggar. The two of you had such fun together." His voice is like something rotten.

You stand, frozen, trying not to think about the time you spent with the witch. Back when your mother was still alive...Shiro gazes up at you, concerned and confused, and you turn to look at him. "What does she want with him?" You try to demand, but your words sound broken. The second guard laughs.

"Champion just needs a few enhancements," the guard grins, sinister, "And Haggar has some new toys to try out." Shiro looks sick as he listens to the conversation, even though he can't possibly understand what the guard is talking about.

"You can't take him." You say, moving to stand in front of the cot, but the guards push you aside so easily it's almost laughable. "It'll be okay, Rykeh." Shiro stands, bravely, but you can still see the worry in his eyes. You shake your head. Now is not a time to be valiant. It's a time to run away.

"Yes," the guard agrees as he and his partner guide Shiro from the room, "Everything will be okay, star-boy. I'm sure it won't be long until Champion needs healing again."

The door slides closed, shutting out the sound of Galran laughter.