V.

The Galrans aren't the most organized when it comes to gladiator fights. You can't figure out if they have a schedule or not. Sometimes the guards will bring Shiro to you a few times a day, and other times you won't see him for a week. Usually, though, it seems that they have fights every few days.

You don't know what the fights are like for Shiro, or who they make him fight. He doesn't like to talk about it, so the only information you can really glean comes from the guards' comments and Shiro's injuries. On days when he can hardly walk, or when he's unconscious, or you can see bone through the cuts and tears in his skin--you know his opponent was dangerous, and you want to cry with relief that he's still alive. On days when his eyes are unfocused and you can see hesitation in the defensive cuts on his arm, you know his opponent wasn't monstrous enough to relieve him of guilt. If he's killing creatures whose only purpose is to kill, you reason, he's doing good. But you know that not every being sent to fight is a killer, and when you're killing only to save your own life it's harder to justify.

Changes in Shiro's attitude also clue you in to what the fighting is like on a given day. Sometimes he talks furtively with you about escape, mapping out times and places that he's seen in the ship. Sometimes he talks about Earth, where humans come from, and you tell him about Ellythria. Sometimes he doesn't talk at all, and you hum your mother's healing songs to fill the silence. Sometimes he says he's a monster, and you insist that he's not, he's not, he's not.

Some days he tries to be brave but you can see tears in his eyes and you remember wanting to be stronger the first time your mother had to heal you, so you repeat the words she gave you. "You don't have to be strong, here," you tell him, "You just have to heal." You take turns keeping each other afloat on the days when sadness is an ocean that fills the room. You help each other breathe.

Months pass this way. When you're alone in your cell, you think about Shiro and marvel at how necessary your connection has become. In such a broken situation it's hard to define the bond you have--it isn't familial, or friendly, or romantic. It's like you're lost at sea, and the only thing keeping your head above the waves is this other person.

So when the guards drop him off in your cell one day and he leans close and whispers, "I think I know how to escape, Rykeh," your immediate reaction is fear. You can't lose this. You can't lose him.

But then you come to your senses, and you realize that this is what you've been hoping for. If anyone can escape this hell, it's Shiro. And if he can save himself, then maybe, maybe, there's a chance he can save you too, one day.

"How?"

"When the guards walk me here, we pass a door. Today as we passed by it was opened by a droid, and I saw what was behind it. It's the aircraft hangar. If I can take out the guards on my way here, my arm should be able to get me into the hangar--it's made of the same tech as the droids. Past that point things get more uncertain, but hopefully I'll be able to find an aircraft I can pilot and get off the ship with enough of a headstart to get away."

You listen silently, healing Shiro as he speaks. When he finishes, you frown. "It sounds so risky," you protest, "The guards always cuff you, and you don't know what kinds of alarms could be installed in the hangar. Also, I wouldn't have time to heal you--what if you were hurt?"

Shiro frowns. "It may be the best shot I'll ever have. Besides, you could just heal me on the aircraft. You don't really think I'd leave you behind, do you?"

Part of you is elated at his words, but an even greater part of you knows you can't ask him to take you. "Shiro," you say softly, "You're going to need all the time you can get. Fetching me would take too long, and it would just throw more uncertainty into your plan. You don't know what sort of alarms or locks they've put on my door, either."

His face hardens with determination. "I'm not leaving you behind."

"You have to."

"No, I don't."

"I won't go with you."

"Yes, you will."

"Dammit, Shiro!" You curse the way your father used to, pushing away from him as you stand up. You turn your back to him and clench your hands into fists, and when you speak again your voice is lower, but just as intense.

"What happens if you die trying to get me out of here? What if it slows you down just a second too much and a guard kills you, or your ship is shot down, or you're recaptured and sent back to Haggar? You really think I could live with myself if that happened?" Angry tears prick at your eyes, and you try not to cry as you continue, "If you get away, I'll have something to hold on to. I'll have hope."

Shiro's voice is quieter, placating, as he says, "I could die even if I don't try to save you." You turn around to face him once more.

"But if it was my fault?"
Shiro looks like he's in pain as he protests, "It wouldn't be your fault if someone else killed me!"

You take a shaky breath, trying to steady yourself. "You promised me you would escape."

"I promised that we would escape."

"So come back for me! Get help, find some way to defeat Zarkon, and come back to rescue me. It's too dangerous right now."

Shiro looks like he's about to protest, but you cross the small cell in two strides and throw your arms around him, hugging him to you. "Please," you whisper, "Go."

He falls silent. Slowly, you can feel his arms circling your shoulders. He hugs you back hesitantly at first and then clutches you to him like he doesn't want to let go.

"Okay," he says quietly, "Okay."