。⓪⑥

Two knocks is all it takes for the knob to turn, creaking.

You can imagine the shock wave – the one that causes Steve to take a sudden step back, when he is answered by a surmise of strong, unforeseen, sentiment.

Of all the outcomes that he has reenacted this is not what he expected to confront. Not only is she who stands at the door dressed identical to the USH (unidentified sitting human) who briefly occupied his taken taxi, but a woman who strongly resembles that of the girl he knew as Gabrielle.

Her hair is significantly shorter, much more modern, a pixie that frames the face nicely. The colour of the choppy locks is now a distinguished red but with vibrant orange highlights that when in disarray, as it is slightly, flit away like sparks.

She stands at five and a fourth, her height not deterring her from maintaining a sturdy somewhat regal stature. Her skin is darker, slightly tanned by this summer's hot sun and it makes her pretty pink lips pop. The dark brown eyes that are deeply set hold experience undergone and they flash an intimidating appearance when structured by thin, formed brows, as they are.

In short all is the same except the hair and the lost naivety of the eyes. But then the prospect of 'daughter' is taken into account and it is this realisation that keeps Rogers from exclaiming the name he for a minute thought belonged to her.

What Rogers doesn't see is that while he is attempting to connect the dots that prove as difficult as a cube of Rubik, she is at the same time tracing her own lines – on the other side of the same page. Her expression was at first slack and sordid but now as Steve jumps the train of thought he notices that the face he stares at is glowing with recognition.

Turns out their fabled day of reunion isn't yet marked as history.

"Steven!" His name is said in exclamatory mirth whilst the woman's eyes are alit with acknowledgment. "It's me, it's-"

"Gabrielle?"

She emits a sigh, smiling. "You remember."

"I could say the same." Steve says.

He can't believe it. How? How has she lived this long, immune to any natural alterations of time? Besides the dismissal of her formerly bay tresses, the only other telltale of any remaining difference is in her voice that has since lost its imbue of Canuck. How this is all so is what Steve forces himself to put off asking.

"You have... not changed." he states.

Noticing how she now has to look a well few inches skyward is what causes Gabrielle's reply to be, "I'd say you certainly have!" Her jovial remark is proceeded by a playful but shameless poke to his chest. "I remember you being only an inch taller than me."

He chuckles, assuming she knows his story like everyone else in this city. "No accident."

"Size never really mattered to me." she chortles, hoping he doesn't get an incorrect impression. However on that note he does not remember her persona being this blatant. "But hey, I haven't shrunk yet so that's good! After a certain age it's all downhill from there."

Certain age? She has to be at least 90 by now! Unbeknown to her, Gabrielle has throughly puzzled the poor super soldier. The fact that her soul (born 1920) is trapped within the body of a 25 year old does not seem to register to her, nor strike a chord in need of explaining.

With his thoughts running a mile per minute Rogers temporarily looses the ability to speak. In realising this he shifts his stance awkwardly. Neither really know the most appropriate way to regard one another or continue to handle the situation.

"Would you... like to come in?" Gabrielle offers, getting first grasp of their circumstances. She steps aside so that Steve may pass.

The commander looks out at the dimming horizon. "I should actually get going, it's late."

"Aw please stay, there is so much we have to talk about!" She dons a petulant pout and her hands clasp together. She is practically begging. Unfortunately for her not every sad puppy is enough to persuade Mr. America to take them.

So when Gabrielle sees that the trail he's trekking doesn't lead in her direction she says, "Your Bucky isn't going anywhere."

This makes Steve attention snap from the distance back to her. "How-"

"Never ask how, only say yes or no."

Defeated he exhales. "Fine."