- Chapter Fifteen -

As soon as the clock strikes three, Peeta and I wait at the window for Willow, Rye, Flynn, and hopefully, Wren to walk into the village from town. My heart beats so fast it feels as if there are canons going off in my chest.

If we see the familiar, bubbly blonde head of hair skipping next to Flynn, it could change everything. He could find happiness outside of me and Willow, which is all I want for him. Even though I've only seen this girl once, I have an insane amount of hope for her in regards to Flynn. She seems light and sweet, a combination that perfectly balances out Willow's stubbornness and curiosity. And plus, she's part of the Donner family, and from what I know, everyone in it shines as bright as the sun.

Everyone who's left, that is.

But then again, the more logical alternative would be that Flynn could have been his resilient self and completely ignored her. Went through another day of school without a word. This situation wouldn't be so great on a day like this, considering Willow agreed to keep her distance, but we really don't know anything until they walk through these doors.

That's one of the many things that worries me about my children going to school. Unless we receive news through some form of communication, we're just as uninformed as they want us to be.

I grab Peeta's hand and give it a squeeze, letting him know how nervous I am.

"Shouldn't they be back by now?" I ask shakily.

"No, Katniss," he chuckles. "You say this every day. It takes them at least 10 minutes to get back, and it would probably take longer if they were bringing Wren with them."

I sigh, nodding. "Why are you always right?"

"Because I think things through," he smirks, leaning in to kiss me on the lips.

I smile and break away. "And I don't?" I tease.

He grins. "You do, you just don't always analyze the situation very well."

I shrug. "Whatever. That's what I have you for."

I lean in for another kiss, but before I make it to his lips, I hear shuffling coming from outside. I lift my head to look out the window.

"He did it, Katniss! He asked her," Peeta whispers, rubbing my back. A smile blossoms on both of our faces as we look outside, and lo in behold, I see exactly what I was hoping for. Wren walks alongside Flynn in her paisley yellow dress, my two children hand in hand behind them. I try to ignore Willow's flustered expression and instead focus on Flynn's smile and Wren's rosy red cheeks.

He leads her to our house and knocks on the door gently, a geeky smile still plastered onto his face.

Peeta gets up from my grasp and walks over to the door. "This is great, Katniss," he grins. I chuckle and nod. It's nice to see him so excited about something that doesn't involve me or our children.

"Hi Peeta," Flynn says nervously once he opens the door.

"Hey Flynn," Peeta smiles, gesturing for them to come inside. "I see you brought Wren for dinner."

From what I can see, at his words, Wren's smile immediately turns into an apprehensive frown. "Is that alright? I can leave if-"

"No no, it's great," Peeta laughs, cutting her off. "Make yourself at home."

Wren delicately steps inside, her flats barely making a sound as they collide with the wooden floor. "This is a beautiful house, Flynn," she says hollowly, as if in awe.

"Thanks," Flynn coughs, smiling. "Mine pretty much looks exactly like it. It's across the street to the far left."

"Good to know," she grins, whimsically spinning around, admiring the rooms, until she spots me sitting by the window and stops.