Family

Edric's stomach churned as he sat at the dinner table quietly. His mind was loud but mouth was quiet. Across from him sat the woman who brought him life, a thing he should be grateful for. This woman also left him alone as a small child lost in the world only to follow a her lover across the seas. He turned to look behind him at his crew. His sister and Moa both seemed anxious at the sight of his pale features.
"Well, it was about time you came to see me."
"I'm sorry it's been so long."
"As if a fool like you could keep track of time."
Roselyn jolted forward at her mothers' remark only to be held back by the friend beside her. They couldn't fight right now, it would only make it all worse.
"You and your little scamp of a sister should learn a few things from your father."
"He wasn't a good man."
"He was fantastic, you just only got the bad parts of him."
Edric fiddled with his fingers on the table as his mother continued to talk.
"Just look at you, no wonder you've become so broken. It's because of those Marines I left you with wasn't it? They've corrupted your mind haven't the-"
"STOP."
He took a deep breath to calm his nerves and stood up from the table.
"They raised me the best they could and it was better than you could ever do."
His mother scowled and leaned forward.
"You would speak to your mother like that?"
She continued on a rant until he spoke up again.
"You aren't my mother."
"Excuse me?"
He looked her dead in the eyes as he spoke.
"You are nothing more than the vessel that held me for nine months. I don't have a motherly figure."
Amelia was shocked at her son's tone of voice.
"I came here to settle things civilized like a normal human being but it seems all that time avoiding your responsibilities has corrupted your sense of civilization. Because a mother, a mother wouldn't leave her children three years into their life. A mother wouldn't choose a man over her kids who need her. Don't you dare call yourself a mother."
The room was silent once again but filled with enough tension to be mistaken for a battle scene.
"Then who is your mother, scumbag."
Edric swallowed the lump in his throat and glanced towards Moa.
"I don't know, but definitely not you. And even if I was to have a motherly figure they wouldn't even be caught dead acting like someone like you."
Moa smiled at Edric as he walked away from the table. After the years she raised the twins they certainly grew into the strong people she knew they could be.