Déjà Vu Is SO Annoying

I was speechless. I had just met a Primordial God who confessed to making everyone forget me. Chiron waited patiently while I tried to gather my thoughts. I finally came up with, "Do you want the long or short version?"

"Let's go with short, for the sake of time. The campers will be curious. Especially Annabeth." He motioned for me to sit down and explain.

I sat. "Okay, well. Everything but me froze, a dark mist appeared, the place smelled like the ocean, and the Primordial God Pontus appeared. He confessed to making everyone but you and Grover forget me, and then left me to figure out why."

Chiron thought, trying to make sense of it all. "I shall think about this and talk to the Gods. Once I myself have more information I will talk to you."

"Okay," I nodded. "Now I have to do what? Pretend I'm a normal camper while everyone I know doesn't remember me?"

"Well, yes. But you may want to speak with Grover." He sighed and resumed making a rainbow.

I ran outside to go find Grover. When I did, he was talking to Juniper by the edge of the forest. "Percy! Hey man. Why have I heard that there is another Percy Jackson?" He laughed and waited for an answer.

Juniper poked him, "Grover. That is not Percy Jackson. Why are you saying it is?"

"What? Of course it is. What are--"

"Juniper, can I speak to Grover alone for a bit?" I grabbed his shoulder and started to pull him away. I guess Juniper said yes because she disappeared in a puff of green smoke.

Grover looked at me, "Care to explain?"

And so I did.

"Let me get this straight, you woke up to no one but me and Chiron remembering you, everyone remembers a Percy Jackson, just not you, and the Primordial God Pontus confessed to erasing everyone's memories?" Grover asked.

"Yep, that's about it."

Just then Chiron appeared with some new information. "Percy, I have done some research and asked the Gods. First off, they do not remember you either," he looked at me with pity in his eyes. "Secondly, Pontus did not specialize in memories, so he would have only been able to erase one memory from everyone's mind. Can you think of what that could be?"

For once the answer came quickly. "The day we met."

"Yes, exactly. By erasing that one important memory, it erased all the memories afterwards with you in them. I'm sorry but this kind of power is only reversible by one being. The Void. Otherwise known as Chaos, who hasn't been seen in person longer than any of the Primordials."

"So, you're saying that no one will ever remember me, unless I find Chaos?"

Chiron nodded sadly. "Not even Hypnos could help." He patted my back, as if that would help. Everyone I knew didn't remember me. How can I be happy if I have to get to know them again. All the memories I had with them are gone. Well, it's okay about the bad ones, but they lost the good ones too. "One more thing Percy," Chiron added, "your mother doesn't remember you either."

That was the last straw. My own loving mother, the best mom in the whole world, doesn't know me. Unable to contain my feelings, I ran to the beach and jumped into the ocean. Maybe my dad will come talk to me and by some miracle he will remember me. That didn't happen. I was left alone to my thoughts.

When I finally came out of the water, it was about dinnertime. I made my way to the pavilion, giving any camper who looked at me too long a glare. When I reached the mess hall everyone stared at me. I stared back. Eventually I just ignored them and walked to the Poseidon table and sat in my usual spot, which seemed to annoy the campers. Chiron just laughed.

One camper from the Athena table, Malcolm, was brave enough to come over to me. "Um, that's Percy Jackson's spot. I understand you are a son of Poseidon, but we don't think anyone should sit in his spot besides him."

As the nymphs brought out all the food, I grabbed a my plate and started to walk over to the fires. "It's a good thing I am Percy Jackson then." I laughed, I could have some fun with this. Then Annabeth's face floated through my mind and my laugh fell short.

I scraped a big piece of brisket into the fire.

Dad, please remember me.

Malcolm, obviously annoyed, left to go back to his table. After that, I was left to eat. I ate in silence, but I could still feel their stares burning holes in my head.

Then Chiron pounded his hoof against the floor. "Campers, tomorrow will be Capture the Flag. The current cabins that hold the flags are Apollo," yells came from the Apollo cabin, "and Athena." More cheers from the Athena table. "Choose your alliances and be ready for the battle."

We left the mess hall, talk of chore trading and shower times flying through the air. Not one person came up to me to team up with the Poseidon cabin. Again, the pain of no one knowing me hit me like a brick.

The campers made their way to the campfire, me trailing behind. As usual, we sang songs, roasted marshmallows, joked around.

I was absolutely miserable.

On a normal day, (everyone knows that is very rare though) I would be singing and laughing, my arm around Annabeth, having a good time. All that was gone. The only attention I got was Annabeth occasionally glancing at me with a newfound interest.

Eventually Chiron made an announcement. "I know you all are wondering about the 'new' camper, a son of Poseidon." Cue stares. "I have decided that he will explain only if he wants to." I could tell it pained Chiron to talk about me as if I was new.

Everyone looked at me, waiting for a response. My answer was getting up and jumping into the lake for the second time that day.

I waited until I was sure they were all gone. When I came up, someone was waiting for me. Chiron.

I walked up to Chiron completely dry, as usual. When I reached him he gave me a sympathetic look. "I know this must be hard for you. We will find a way to reverse it. We will find Chaos, or a way to jog their memories."

I just smiled feebly at him. He smiled back and galloped off. As I started toward the cabins, I heard a someone jump down from a tree, barely making a sound. ADHD can help when you're a demigod.

In less than a second I had Riptide out and placed at someone's throat. Well, what I thought was their throat. "Woah, there. It's me, Annabeth. Talk about a turn of events." She took off her Yankees baseball cap and became visible.

I scowled and lowered my sword. I ignored her and resumed my path heading to the cabins.

"Wait! Who are you? Why do I feel like I know you?" That last question gave me hope, which quickly disappeared once I saw her face. Not a hint of recognition anywhere.

I kept walking and answered over my shoulder. "Why would you believe me? You didn't when I told you the truth earlier." I hoped that annoyed her. I decided it had when I heard what she said next. It also gave me a sense of déjà vu.

"You drool when you sleep."

Maybe there is some hope after all.