Chapter 22

"There it is," Gylfi murmured. They stared out at the river, at where it widened into a harbour. He could just see the top of the Stormdanser's mast, and fury rippled through him. Ships shouldn't be chained up. They were made to be wild and free, to skim over waves and travel off the edges of the map.

"Is that a patrol?" Elias's voice was sharp. He dragged them down behind the grassy ridge. "When are we going to steal it?"

"Tonight. Sunset," Gylfi decided. "When they're doing the shift changes."

"Let me scope the place out first," Elias said. "When I'd been employed –"

"To kill someone?" Regina interrupted.

"Yes." He glared at her. "When I'd been employed, I would check out the building, note the exits, the guards if there were any. I'll do that before sunset."

"Are you sure –?" Gylfi began.

"Skarsgård. Don't doubt me. I've been doing this for years, and this is hardly the most heavily-guarded place I've broken into. Wait for me here." He swapped his bright Easfallian cloak – which he'd begun wearing while they travelled through the remote places, making Gylfi wonder how much he missed Easfall – for a jet-black coat, and slunk away. Gylfi watched him go. He was stealth and smoke and wind. He disappeared from sight.

"Well," Gylfi said, draping himself down onto the grass. "What shall we do to pass the time?"

Regina scowled at him. "Not whatever you're thinking of."

He put a hand on his heart. "You wound me, princess. What on earth are you trying to suggest? Anyway, since Ingrid has gone I thought –"

"What happened between you two?"

"Oh, I fell madly in love with her during my pirate years," Gylfi said in an offhand voice. "But just before I was caught, I found out she'd been sleeping with other men behind my back."

"But you still kissed her."

Why did she care so much? "She kissed me."

"You looked to be enjoying yourself."

"I can't just turn off my feelings, Regina. Haven't you ever experienced something like that?"

Her brow furrowed. She began twisting Elias's cloak between her hands. "Not really. My whole life has been controlled by my father."

"At least you have one. A father."

She laughed bitterly. "I'd rather not have one."

Gylfi sat up. "No, you wouldn't. I can't remember what mine looked like. Barely saw him."

Regina scoffed. "All right, let's trade."

He thought of Kostin's cold, cold eyes. "No, thanks."

"Exactly. I was dying in there, you know. I dreamed of being alone, being free, but they never let me out of that Palace. I was always guarded, or in the company of the government. It was stifling. Suffocating. Kostin controlled everything, manipulating me whenever I opposed him."

Gylfi stared at her. "Did he ever... abuse you?"

"No. It was always emotional. I..." She choked on the words, then steeled herself. "I hate him."

Gylfi cocked his head. "I suppose it takes a different kind of courage to defy family. It's easy to kill or betray someone you hate."

"Yes. I suppose so."

Gylfi jumped to his feet. "Enough of the past. Come on. Time for another lesson."

She groaned, but let him help her up. "What will it be this time?"