It Begins Now

The book is written from Alice's Pov unless stated otherwise.

Just make it till the end of the first chapter which might be a bit boring with lots of information, but I promise it all gets better afterward. 

I got out of the car I parked in front of the two-storied red brick house designed and built by my cousin, Alex who was a brilliant architect. It had been a month since I last visited him which did not sit well with me. As children we had grown up extremely close as Alex often stayed with us, being the forgotten kid of career-obsessed parents who often traveled for business, with no remembrance of their only son. My parents were only slightly more affectionate, both of them immersed in their indulgences and private affairs they didn't even bother keeping secret from one another. I remembered the many times Alex, and I spent the nights alone, huddled together, scared of the boogeyman under the bed, or the rain outside. Somehow, the rain had always scared me up until this day, and it had always been Alex who calmed me down despite him being only two years older than me.

That had all been in the past, and now I was no longer that scared little girl, but a powerful witch. Well, perhaps not that powerful, but a witch nonetheless. That did not change anything between me and Alex though; we were very still close. Unfortunately, I no longer had the luxury of spending my free time with him. He was just a human and being the anomaly child I was, I no longer belonged in his world. Not since that one fated day, when I was twenty-six, just fresh out of med school I'd learned about myself. Tessa, the Priestess of the Witch Coven had shown up on my doorstep, claiming that I was a witch. Tessa's story had seemed too farfetched, too fabricated to be true at the time. She'd  said that she'd seen me in one of her visions and that she was there to guide me, initiate me to the coven and nurture my talents. There was a moment of happiness those words had carried; there had been joy in the belief that maybe, just perhaps, I did not belong to my miserable parents. But, dreams had no place in reality as I looked like my mother.

"I know you belong with us, I will help you, child," she had said, cheerfully. "You've been touched. You are special." These words had been followed by a display of cheap magician tricks, such as moving the table around, making a fresh scar on my wrist disappear, but I had stood my ground, thinking she was a lunatic with a few tricks up her sleeve. My scientific mind had rallied against her ramblings, and I had told her I'd call the cops the next time she disturbed me with her wild tales.

In the end, it was not the chatty and persistent Tessa who had convinced me to come with her, no, it had been Tannon, Tessa's twin brother with his ruffled white hair and, his violet-colored eyes so deep that I had been mesmerized where I stood. He had tagged along with his crazy sister one day. And, he had done the deed. I had just gazed at this handsome man, who was too much reserved, too much controlled to be even real. He was like an ethereal being among all the clutter, dirt and chaos in the world. He had been silent, not saying anything, just staring at me all along when Tessa had been spouting her classic nonsense. I remember him touching Tessa lightly on the shoulder, shushing her never ending chatter with a look, a silence I had greeted thankfully, "Come," he then had said, pointing his finger at me. I knew not what had happened, or why it happened. But, it had taken one word from him, and I had turned into a mush, following both of them out of the house, taking hurried steps towards my new life and destiny.

It had been Tessa's idea to introduce me as a seventy-years old witch when I first came, a young age by many in the coven. But, at least, the ability to defy age had made me one of their own in the absence of any other visible talent. I had stood silent, not denying it, not laughing my ass off, letting Tessa do her bidding. The advantage of this had been that no one could deny Tessa's wishes in the witch coven, and no one could gainsay her. She and Tannon were the most powerful witches on earth, both possessing any and all the talents any witch was born with. And, so the witches at the coven had accepted me, though slowly and grudgingly just because I'd been under Tessa's protection.