Section One

Dark gray clouds swallow up the sun and its light as the rickety bus slowly makes its way up the winding road. As if the fog and harsh air wasn't enough, now it's going to rain.

You let out a sigh when the rain descends, following an unnerving clap of thunder. What a great field trip this is turning out to be, you think bitterly. By the time we even get to the museum, we'll belong in it.

You feel a sudden poke in your side and grumpily turn to see who had the nerve to invade your personal space.

Charlie, your best friend, sticks her tongue out at you.

You roll your eyes and go back to gazing unhappily out the window, which has since become useless; The rain is blurring out every bit of scenery.

"C'mon!" Charlie persists. "This is our one and only filed trip this year! You might as well make the best of it."

You laugh drily. "Oh, boy! We get to go to an ancient museum full of worthless crap in the cold and pouring rain? I'm SO excited I could just die!"

Just as your sarcasm-loaded words leave your mouth, the bus utters a screech and lurches to a stop.

Your classmates' confusion and curiosity flood the bus.

Your teacher, Mrs. Smith, clears her throat and makes her way to the front. "Is there a problem?" She asks the driver.

The driver, an old and rather stout man, grumbles his incoherent response before turning the key and failing to restart the old contraption. After a third try, he looks up at Mrs. Smith and says, "The bus ain't startin' any time soon."

Dismay becomes evident on her face. "What are we going to do?"

Another clap of thunder sounds. It's so loud that it rattles the bus.

The students are now staring to become nervous.

Mrs. Smith turns to face you all. "Now, now. Don't get worked up. It's just a storm." She looks out through the bus doors and says, "It will probably be over soon."

"No it won't," replies a boy in the very back. "This storm is supposed to get worse and last into tonight. And I don't know about you, but I'm not sitting in this crowded piece of shit any more." He stands and begins making his way to the front. "I say we go find help."

"Sit back down," the teacher demands. "I'm in charge and I said we'll wait out the storm."

Charlie, who has been shockingly quiet, slowly stands. "I don't want to wait in here either. There no cell phone signal out here. We can't call for help. What if there's an emergency?"

A few more students stand and murmur in agreement.

Mrs. Smith sighs, defeated. "Alright, fine. But you all wait here until I see if I can see any buildings or shelter of some kind." She opens the doors and disappears into the pouring rain.

A few minutes pass and she hasn't returned.

The boy from before shakes his head. "I'm done waiting. Let's just go."

Slowly, students start filing out of the bus. You and Charlie are last.

You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your gut as you follow the crowd.

It's darker and colder than you thought.

This fog is so thick you could get lost in it.

Charlie suddenly stops and points to her left. "Do you see that?" She asks.

At first you don't see anything, but then the fog clears just enough for you to make out the outline of a tall building. "Yeah."

"Hey!" She calls. "Hey, look! Over there is a cabin or something!"

The sinking feeling in your stomach intensifies as you all make your way toward it.

Before long, you're standing in front of a run down looking building. The Aeron House is written in big block letters of various faded colors across a plaque hanging just above the door. There's a window on the right side.

You make your way to it and peer inside, but see nothing but pitch blackness.

One of your classmates raises his hand and knocks loudly on the door, which falls open with a creak.

"Creepy," remarks Charlie.

You agree.

"Well? Go in," says another student.

After hesitating, the boy who knocked makes his way inside. "Whoa!"

You all look at each other in question.

"Guys! You have to come see this! It's amazing!"

Before you really have time to think, the rain begins to fall harder.

Everyone shuffles inside.

You all gawk at the interior of the shabby building.

It's unbelievably larger on the inside. You're standing on a yellow carpet leading to a brown podium. Surrounding you on all sides are doors and staircases of various colors. Hanging above you are bright lights which dangle from elegant chandlers.

"What is this place?" Someone asks.

"It looks like a fun house," replies another.

"Should we go explore?"

"No way!"

"Guys!"

Everyone's attention turns to a girl standing at the podium.

"There's a message engraved into the wood up here."

"A message?"

"Read it!"

"What does it say?"

She clears her throat. "Welcome to The Aeron House, explore it if you dare. There are secrets behind each door, but please do beware."

After a moment of stunned silence, someone snickers,

"What a load of junk!"

You and Charlie exchange glances.

You know instantly that your opinions are differing.

You classmates excitedly split up into groups of two or three and disappear behind various doors.

You and Charlie are left alone.

"Which door do you wanna go through?" She asks.

You shake your head and take a step back. "None of them. This is a bad idea. We should have all stayed together."

She sighs. "You're the one who was reluctant to go to some museum because you'd be bored out of your mind. And now some fun comes along and you want to just sit here?"

You shrug. "I just have a bad feeling about all of this..."

"Suit yourself," she replies, turning and making her way toward a blue door. "But I'm going to explore. Come find me when you're ready to stop being such a boring Betty." With that, she disappears behind the door, which closes with thud, leaving you in complete silence.

You take a breath and let it out slowly. You have a choice to make.

(To leave, go to Section 3.)

(To follow Charlie, go to Section 2.)