Section Nine

At first the door won't open, but after shoving a bit, you're able to squeeze through.

The faded walls are purple with pink polka dots and there is the remains of a bed against the wall directly across from you. There is a small window covered in grime to your right and to your left, a closet. The room stinks terribly of decay and as you approach the bed, you see why.

A mixture of a gasp and a sob escape your throat when you see the link and purple bracelet on the corpse's wrist that reads "Friends."

The other half that reads "Best" is on your wrist.

You fall to your knees as you state in disbelief at the letters scrawled neatly in big cursive letters on the wall, just above the deceased:

Charlie's room.

Sobs wrack your body.

Your best friend has been dead for a long time.

You've been wandering this Hell House for months, at least.

You're not sure how long you've been crying, but the tears cease falling and you stare again at the words written on the wall.

They've become faded.

You think back to the previous rooms.

Each one had someone's name written above it.

You see a green door beside the bed.

Had you not come across such a gruesome discovery, you'd wonder if it had always been there.

But now you just numbly rise to your feet and go through it.

You're amazed by what you find.

The walls are covered in violet paint and decorated with various paintings. There is a queen sized bed in the very center. The pillows and blankets are completely free of dust or rotting. Across from the bed, is a  glossy wardrobe. To the left of the room, there is a television set and to the right, a body length mirror. The entire room appears clean and kept. Everything is so out of the ordinary, as compared to the rest of the building.

Does someone live here? You wonder.

No Charlie in here, you think drily.

A soft breeze waves in from somewhere, bringing with it, the smell of lavender.

The room is just so...alluring and inviting.

You feel comfortable here.

Why would you ever want to leave?

Did Charlie feel this way?

Under normal circumstances, you would have turned and walked away by that thought. You know you should not stay in here another second. But you're overcome by something you can't place your finger on.

You make your way to the bed and feel the plush mattress, before taking a seat and then lying down. A smile forms on your lips.

It is, by far, the most comfortable bed you've ever laid on.

Your eyelids become heavy and an involuntary yawn sweeps away any logical thoughts.

When did you become so sleepy?

You're sure it will be fine if you take just a short nap...five minutes.

Yes, just five minutes.

Then you'll continue your search for a way out.

Five minutes.

You yawn again and your eyes drift shut.

Five...

You wake with a start, sitting up and looking around the unfamiliar room. You gasp and jump out of the bed, swatting away maggots and flies that had been crawling on you for who knows how long.

Looking back at the bed, your heart sinks.

What happened to it?

The once clean and comfortable bed is now nothing more than a pile of rubble.

The glossy wardrobe across from you is but a pile of rotting wood.

The mirror is no longer spotless, but instead coated in thick layers of dust and grime.

You gag as the stench of mold and decay fill your nose.

Where is it coming from?

You cover your nose and look back at the bed.

A scream tears from your throat.

You fall to your knees, covering your mouth and shaking your head in denial.

No...

There are still pieces of flesh clinging to the bones of the corpse.

No...

The hair still flows around what's left of the pillow.

No, it can't be real!

The arms are lying comfortably across what used to be the stomach.

It's not real!

There's a black and red checkered bracelet that reads "Best" across it on the deceased's bony wrist.

No...

The other part, a pink and purple checkered bracelet reading "Friends" is undoubtedly still tied to Charlie's wrist.

You turn and climb to your feet.

Your throat goes dry as you make your way toward it.

There's a buzzing coming from the other side of the door.

Taking a breath that you wont ever again need, you place your hand on the knob and turn.

The door swings open.

Tears well up in your eyes and you sink to the floor.

Sobs begin wrack your body as you gaze despairingly at the same exact room you're sitting in.

Above the bed, there are words painted onto the wall in faded block letters: "Jamie's Room."

The End