Flaming Hearts

Chapter 2: The Clan

I stepped out of my bedroom in a slow pace. My eyes caught Emma toss her phone to the side. The couch caught my attention along with the blood stains.

"Are you going to clean that? I'm just wondering," My bottom landed on the hard uncomfortable recliner. Emma nodded her head and placed the device in her back pocket. "Thank you, do you mind grabbing me a water?" My fingers went to my temples and rubbed in circular motion. The sound of her feet hit my ears softly. Each step caused my head to pound harder. The bottled water appeared in front of my face. "You're a real friend," I grinned while I grabbed the water. She laughed and walked into her room. The TV turned on as my thoughts drifted back to the nightmare.

"Hey, I'll clean the couch after I do my room," Emma's hushed voice bounced off the walls interrupting my thoughts. My thumbs went up in the air while I stared at the television. My mind kept wandering back to the person on the ground in my dream. The stranger was never seen before in my lifetime. I shook the thought out of my head and went into the kitchen. A bowl of cereal was fixed as it got shoved into my mouth. I flopped back onto the recliner when Emma came out. My eyes stayed glued to the TV since the season finale of my show was on. The TV shut off catching my full attention.

"Why would you do that? I was watching my show, that was the season finale." My voice was high making it sound like I was whining. Emma pointed to the bar across the street. I held back a groan at the sight. The glass bowl was placed softly on the coffee table. "The bar, what about it?" I asked.

"I think we should see what they're running over there." The bluntness was unexpected. I doubled over in laughter as I clutched my stomach. "Dianna, I'm being serious, aren't you a little curious?" My laugh ceased a bit as I processed the question.

"It's a bar, they're selling alcohol over there, that's what they're doing. If you want me to get on this, I need more of a reason to do it. Why do you think there is something strange going on? It was kind of strange that the one man came over here to look for your friend," I rambled as I started to agree with her a bit.

"I found Shohei next to that bar and that's the exact place he wanted me to take him to. Why would an injured person want to go to a bar? He also said he doesn't really go to hospitals. I didn't bring it up with him, but there was a bat next to him, a baseball bat. That is not a normal group of people, I'm not an idiot." She crossed her arms in a sophisticated way. I stood up, stumbling over my feet a bit, and nodded at her statement.

"Alright, I'm on board. So, what's the plan you have in mind? Are we going to ask around town about them? What is it?" I shot one question after another. I needed more information or I will be completely oblivious about it. She laughed and stood up. "First, we have to change. What should I wear?" My thoughts wandered off to my lack of clothing choices.

"We are going to a bar and to the outside world, look decent. We are going to ask around town later, right now, we're going to sit outside the bar and watch the activity inside." She boasted with confidence. Silence filled the space in between us. I nodded my head and sauntered into my room. My hands tossed shirts and pants all over the place. I groaned at all my clothing.

"I really need to get something nice," My eyes caught a simple outfit lying on top of the pile of clothes. I grinned and changed into them, stumbling in the process. I brushed my hair while hissing at the tangles. The tangles made it longer than it actually was. I rushed out and followed after Emma. She strutted out causing me to do the same. "So, what's the plan? Are we just going to walk back and forth on this sidewalk, then we'll sneak peeks at them through the window?" I laughed at my stupid suggestion. The laugh came to an abrupt stop when I caught the serious look on her face. "You can't be serious?" My voice came out sounding bored.