Chapter 20: Mid-Term Madness

A/N: I'm sorry, but the picture has nothing to do with this chapter...I just thought I'd share it because it's so damn cute...

*~*~*~*~   

"I can't do this." I panicked, seeing that I couldn't even answer the first question of the exercise book. "I'm gonna die later and I'll be dumb for the rest of my life and never find a job and I'll probably die under a bridge and--"

"Shut up." I heard a low grumble from behind me. "You're too noisy."

I spun around in the wheelchair, facing the purple-eyed boy that was already comfortably snuggled underneath a layer of blankets. "You guys wouldn't possibly get my worries." I said, folding my legs in front of me in the chair. "Unlike me, you two have this amazing brain that's good enough to score top even though you don't study." 

"Go to sleep, little doll." the lad beside him insisted, voicing out his complaint, choosing the right words to make it seem like an attempt to worry. "You'll just be tiring yourself out." 

I sighed, "In four to five hours from now, it'll be mid-terms." I reminded. "If I don't drill these notes and formulas into my head, I'll be losing by default." 

None of them said anything. I took that as a sign that neither of them could care any less whether or not I pass or fail tomorrow's sets of papers. With that in mind, I spun around, focusing my attention back to the math problem at hand. 

Digging my head for the correct formula to use, the efforts I put in resulted in vain when I couldn't seem to understand the question itself. "This looks simple enough."  I commented on the diagram shown below the string of words. "Yet, I can't get the right answer." 

Find the volume of D[0]. 

"What does it even want?"  I questioned, scrunching my eyebrows in disbelief. "What does it mean by D zero?" 

"Not to mention the diagram itself looks complicating." 

Then, just as I was intending to give up and put my pen down, I noticed this one sentence in the question that I over-looked before. 

Multiple cubes having sides 1 arranged periodically. 

 Wait a second. If that's the case...

I started writing down my theory, trying my hardest to fill in the gaps that I had earlier in my brain. It all made sense. The diagram, the words, the whole aim of the question and what it wants. 

Everything, except one.

"I don't know how to get the proper answer, though." I huffed, tired that the scribbles I made only seemed to mess my head up more. 

"That's where I come in." a voice suddenly erupted behind me, its owner grabbing the pen from my hand and began calculating the solution for the particular question. 

At first I was surprised at the sudden burst of audio since the room was flooded by this silence but then, I relaxed my tense muscles, seeing that it was only Karma. "W-What are you doing?" I asked, confused at his behavior since he was, previously, sleeping on the bed behind me. 

"Helping you, duh." he said simply, scribbling over my own. 

I  furrowed my eyebrows, "I don't need your help." 

He chuckled, "Liar." with that said, he stopped. "There, I got it." 

My eyes widened, "Already?" I questioned, not believing that he was able to find the answer the problem so easily. With that speed, too. 

"Its not that hard, Nagisa." he smiled at me, finally facing me after ripping his eyes from the paper. "If you see here, its actually quite straight forward. Primary stuff actually."