Fort

It took thirteen days and twelve nights to reach the Forest of Jerto. It stretched before them for countless miles on either side. It ran in an uneven line. "Where will the fort be built," Emrin asked. Anera looked for the spot she had picked. She pointed to an outcropping of trees several miles to the west. "There." Emrin nodded and they began riding towards it. 

"The dwarves should have received my message by now. They'll be arriving in the next few weeks." "Very well. I didn't realize they had that far of a trek." "They don't, but they have to gather and carry supplies. That will take a while." "What supplies do they have to bring?" "Saws and chisels and such." "Chisels? Is the fort to be made of stone?" "Just the outer wall, the rest will be wood with stone foundations." "Interesting." "Although, the headquarters will be mostly made of stone. Only the outlying buildings will be made of wood." "So you intend for the fort to stand for a long time?" "Precisely."

They stopped at the spot Anera had indicated and dismounted. She walked around, pointing out where everything will be. "This spot right here, will be home to the headquarters, which will be a hundred fifty by two hundred feet. The barracks will be off to the west, here and here. The infirmary will be to the east. The stables will be diagonal to the headquarters, and there will be five of them. They will be parallel to each other. The mess hall will be across the way from the stables. The latrines will be a hundred feet away from the rest of the fort, right here."

Emrin agreed to everything she was saying, already seeing what she saw. "The fort itself will be three quarters of a mile wide and a mile long. A fifteen foot wall made of sandstone will surround it. There will be a gate just tall enough for a tall man on horseback to pass under. The top of the wall will have a five foot walkway for guards to pace on." She continued detailing where everything was and what it would look like. The stockyards would be perpendicular to the stables, and would have cows, goats and chickens. A small garden would be parallel to the latrines. 

Once Anera had exhausted herself, she and Emrin set up a permanent camp. She ventured into the woods to see what game she could catch. She strung her bow and kept up a silent tread. The woods were dark and mysterious. People rarely ventured into them. There were stories that the forest was haunted. Anera discounted the tales. She had wandered this forest many a time, and no harm had ever come to her. 

She was walking for several minutes before she spotted a buck. He was pretty young, but sturdy. She waited until he was within shooting range before letting an arrow fly. It hit straight through the chest. She hurried to it and slit its throat with a dagger hidden in her boot. Once it had been drained, she hauled it onto her shoulders and carried it back to camp. 

By the time she returned, night had fallen. Emrin had a fire going and two tents pitched. He turned when he heard her leave the trees. His eyes surveyed the carcass arrayed across her shoulders. "That's a fine animal." "Aye, and he'll make a fine meal." He helped her lower it to the ground before retrieving his skinning knife. First he gutted the animal and laid the entrails to the side to be disposed of later. Next he skinned the animal and cut its meat into sections. Anera kept the deer's hide, it could be used for pallets or clothes. Of course, it would have to be boiled first. 

Anera disposed of the nonedible parts far away from camp, so it wouldn't attract predators. When she returned, Emrin had two slices of meat cooking on a heated slab of stone. The aroma filled the air. Anera felt her mouth water. She watched the fire as the meat sizzled. Her eyes shone green, which meant that she was content. 

Once the meat was done, they ate it on clay plates. They also ate some berries that Anera had come across while hunting. Emrin wrapped the remainder of the deer meat in oiled cloth to save for another day. They both cleaned up dinner. "Our waterskins are running low,"Anera commented. We'll have to go down to the stream half a mile that way to refill them." Emrin nodded,"We'll do that first thing tomorrow." 

Anera took up first watch, since it was her turn. She kept her sword close to her. There were coyotes and wolves that roamed this territory. She quickly became bored, so she took out her dagger and began whittling a branch. This kept her occupied for a while. She slowly shaped the piece of wood into a dragon, serpentine and beautiful. It had a triangle shaped head, long smooth neck, muscular legs, and giant wings. Spikes ran along its neck, back and tail. It had sharp teeth and deadly claws.

Once it was done, Anera surveyed her work. She was immensely proud of it. It almost looked real. A wolf howled in the distance. Anera whipped her head towards the sound, but the land was empty. She returned her attention to the wooden dragon. She decided to name it. But what name was deserving of such an awesome creature? She decided to name it after a dragon she had read about in a book. "Serunel," she whispered to the wooden dragon. For a second the wood seemed to warm under her fingers. But Anera thought she might have been imagining it. 

Not long after that, Emrin emerged from the tent, announcing it was his turn for guard duty. His black hair was in disarray, and his eyes were still partly closed. He gave a loud yawn. Anera grinned. "I think you should wake up first." He made a face at her. "I am awake." She put her hands up. "If you say so. Good night, Emrin." "Sleep well, Anera." Anera pulled back the tent flap and entered. Wool cloth covered the floor along with a buckskin rug. A layer of blankets made up a bed in the right corner. Their bags filled the other corner. Anera stripped off her outer clothing before crawling under the blanket and bearskin. It was still warm from Emrin's body heat. 

She set the wooden dragon Serunel next to her, before drifting off. That night she dreamed of a battle. She saw herself, arrayed on the back of a white dragon. She raised a sword above her head and let out a fierce yell. The dragon roared and they flew towards the ground. The ground was a confusing mix of men, elves, dwarves, demons and Shathak. The dragon raced towards an armor clad figure at the center of the battle. This figure had bright silver hair and was clad in black. 

The figure looked up when the dragon neared. 

It was a man, tall and strong. He snarled at Anera, and raised his hand. Lightning flew from it and raced across the air, headed straight towards her. Anera shouted a spell, before descending into darkness. 

Anera sat up, panting. She could feel sweat covering her skin. What a strange dream to have. Why was she riding a dragon? Who was the man? She decided to discard it, thinking it was only a dream. The sun hadn't risen yet, so she decided to return to sleep. After a few moments, sleep claimed her once more. She didn't dream for the rest of the night.

The next day was bright and cool, with a breeze blowing in from the east. Emrin was dozing off in front of a dying fire. Anera shook his shoulder to wake him up. He started. Drool made a thin line down his chin. "I was not sleeping," he said, interrupting his sentence with a yawn. Anera smiled. "I never said you were." He blinked and looked around him. "Morning already? Thank the gods." "I do not think it is the gods you need to thank." 

They had a small breakfast of berries and mushrooms Emrin had discovered on accident. Anera fed the horses some oats. Emrin trekked to the nearby stream to refill their waterskins. He returned half an hour later, his hair dripping wet. "I dunked my head in the water to wake me up," he said as explanation. Anera laughed.

They kept themselves busy expanding their camp and collecting food. All that was left to do was wait for the dwarves to arrive.