Day of the Dwarf

The dwarves finally did arrive, a month later. Anera heard them coming from a mile off. The sound of dozens of metal clad feet stomping across the plain. She looked to Emrin. He had heard them, too. They looked towards where the sound was coming from. They could see several odd-shaped lumps in the distance. 

These lumps turned out to huge carts pulled by oxen. Dwarves marched in columns to either side of the carts. A dwarf led the company. This dwarf was just over four feet tall. He had a long beard and braided hair the color of copper. He was dressed in gold armor. A gold helm sat atop his head. He was a very majestic looking dwarf. This dwarf's name was Ulkirk, and he was the son of the King of Ulben. He was also a personal friend of Anera's. 

The dwarves came trudging right up to the edge of the camp. Ulkirk bowed to Anera. "It gladdens mine heart to lay mine eyes upon thee once again, Lady of the Light." "And I as well, Ulkirk son of Thruin, King of Ulben." "We have come, as you requested. I bring tidings of friendship and unity from mine king." "I thank you. You have proved yourselves loyal and resourceful." Ulkirk beamed, pleased by the compliment. 

Once the formalities were out of the way, Anera discussed with the dwarves what she wanted and how to build it. They listened avidly, for building was a dwarf's favorite hobby. "There is a sandstone quarry not three miles from here. If you can cart the stone back here, we can get started as soon as possible." "Aye, mine kin will find quarrying no impossible feat. We are hardy and strong, as are our beasts." Anera was introduced to each of the dwarves, in turn. There were two dozen of them. 

The dwarves immediately set about setting up their camp. Dwarves are quick and crafty with their hands, and everything was done in less than an hour. Anera watched the dwarves with a mixture of amusement and fascination. Every time she offered to help, they turned her away good-naturedly, saying it was their job. Dwarves were very proud creatures and were actually offended if someone tried to help them. They believed they needed help from no one. It was only because of Anera's long-standing friendship with them that they tolerated her requests. 

Once the camp was finished, the dwarves sat and pulled out stone pipes and stuffed them with a weed only found in their native mountains. The stone pipes themselves were works of art. Many of them had carvings and runes on them. Ulkirk's even had golden filigree. The smoke almost had a citrusy tang to it. Anera had smoked it once, on a dare, and found it to be very potent.

One of the dwarves, a golden haired burly male named Derin, struck up a conversation with Anera. He described the process and intricacies of stonemasonry to her. "Firstly, we extract the stone from the quarry. Next we cut the extracted rock into shapes using diamond-tipped saws. Then we bed the rock and hone it down to the exact shape and size we desire. The base rocks are usually one to two feet tall and set the pattern for the rest of structure. We use mallets, chisels and saws. Chisels vary in size depending what function they are being used for."

"We make mortar using a barrel that has blades we can rotate. It is poured between each stone slab and made smooth using a trowel. Then we wait for the mortar to dry, and you have a completed structure." "Fascinating," Anera said. And it was. "Aye, and mine people have been practicing stonemasonry for many hundreds of years." "I have seen your people's buildings and halls. They are most impressive." Derin beamed. Every dwarf was susceptible to flattery.