A reason to stay

Sam wasn't sure if it was a good sign or the sign of an upcoming catastrophe but he knew that he had never seen his brother with such a look of blank horror, confusion and you could say disbelief in his eyes.
Cas had decided to leave the Winchester's for their safety, they weren't save with him around. He'd be killed sooner or later depending on when they would find him but they will and they'll kill his family too.
Now they stood outside the bunker, his trenchcoat was washed, his shirt neatly ironed and his hair combed back but that couldn't hide how much he struggled beneath the surface as he looked in Dean's face. As he looked for an answer, a reason that Dean couldn't be without him, a reason that allowed him to stay.
But Dean's face was petrified.
A few minutes before his mouth had formed the words: "Cas don't go, I need you." But Dean had said that before and Cas knew he could handle himself perfectly fine without him, he had proved that. Had even sent him away himself when he was endangering his brother. No, Dean telling him he needed him wasn't holding Cas back, it hurt and he flinched at his heart shattering expression but answered with a brave smile tugging at the corners of his mouth: " I can't stay Dean, you know that... I love you, take care."
After the three small words in the middle of his sentence Dean hadn't moved an inch for almost an eternity. Cas simply placed a chaste kiss on Dean's lips that were pressed together to keep all the harm inside him and to not cry and yell at Cas who dared to leave him after everything they've been through and this time he intended to leave for good.
Cas lips leave his and he turns around to open the door of the cab behind him to start the last paltry chapter in his life without the brother's. But Dean doesn't let him get in the cab, it's like Cas' last action switched him back on again. He grabs his shoulder, turns him around abruptly with more force than he probably intended. He pressed a kiss softer and lighter than any feather in Cas' wings on the angel's lips.
They part again and Cas' deep blue eyes ask a question.
"I love you, I can't be without you."
Dean tugs Cas in a tight hug and the idea of leaving vanished completely from Cas' mind.

Also posted on my tumblr: deansexualqueen.tumblr.com