4.5

She always had a bright smile on her face. It didn't seem like she was part of a criminal group. Her (e/c)-colored eyes would always sparkle every time she talked with Chrollo.

Without noticing it, my eyes would always wander towards her, and watch her carefully.

I quickly learned about her quirks. The way she chewed on her bottom lip whenever she felt nervous, the way she twirls her hair with a finger whenever she felt embarrassed, the way bruises slowly snaked their way onto her skin...

Wait, bruises?

Without thinking much, I had already bursted into the door of her and Chrollo's room. I was horrified. Her tears have already dried up, and black and blue spots covered her bare body. I clicked my tongue, unable to take in such a sight.

After I helped her out that day, she rarely smiled anymore.

The Spiders started to be boring and dull, and Chrollo had become more violent. He was never like this before, as he was always composed.

What sparked the change in him?

"What do you mean, what?" He asked back one day as we were talking about what heinous activity we were up to next. "I've always been like this."

"No, you've never been like this. You've always been so-" "Calm, right?"

I opened my mouth to say something, but quickly closed them again, and just nodded.

..I felt so out of it. Whenever I looked into Chrollo's eyes, I could only see (y/n)'s bright smile, and what it became.

"I can't lead the group with such a carefree attitude. I have to show dominance." He chuckled, laughing at his own words.

"Dominance? Does that include abusing (y/n)?" I asked. His laughter died down. Chrollo smiled gently.

"Now, why would you ask about my woman?" He asked back.

"..why, indeed.."

After that talk, Chrollo never touched (y/n) again. Or, so I thought. A week after, he left the base without a single word, knuckles covered in blood. I felt anger surge in my veins as I watched his retreating back. It took me minutes before I finally went to check how (y/n) was doing.

I half-wish I hadn't.

Her eyes were closed shut, blood dripping down her head. She was left bare again, her legs and arms covered in more bruises. She slowly opened her eyes as I gently closed the door, and gave me a weak smile.

"..so, I finally get to see the face of my savior." She muttered, tears escaping from her swollen eyes. "..thank you for the last time.."

I couldn't say anything. Her resolve was pretty clear with just that cheerful tone and weak smile.

She didn't want to give up on Chrollo.

"Why are you staying with him? Why are you here? Don't you realize you don't belong here?" I asked her, frustrated, despite tending to her. She shook her head.

"I love him."

Throb.

"He's still Chrollo, and I fell in love with all of him."

Throb.

What is this..? What's this sickening feeling?

"Hisoka?" I snapped out of my daze.

"Uh.. what?" I blinked, confused.

"Are you okay, Hisoka? You spaced out." She asked, worry laced in her voice.

"Rather than that.. you know my name?" She stared at me like I just said that pigs could finally fly.

"I've always known your name, Hisoka." She grinned. "You're special, after all!"

Ah, I know what I was feeling now.

I'm in love again.