6. A New Job

{Cristiano POV}

"What did you tell her?" I asked my mom.

We were both sitting at the kitchen table, right after putting Junior to sleep.

"I didn't say anything to her," she said, but I knew she was lying. "I just told her it was best if you two didn't see each other anymore."

"Why on earth would you do that?!" I yelled out. I wasn't furious at her, but I was upset.

"This is not why we came to Portugal, Cris. We came here to get you away from the fame and away from the girls. You need time here to bond with your family."

"And I have been. What is your problem with me?" I snapped.

"CRISTIANO!"

I let out a sigh and shook my head. "Mae, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way."

"This is exactly what I've been talking about," she uttered. My mother pushed herself off the chair and exited the room.

I dug my face into my hands and let out a big sigh. I guess this was the moment of truth; of realization. I never had trouble spending time with my family, but all of a sudden, that all changed. I became too involved with work instead of putting my energy towards my son. Junior is the best person in my life, and i'll only have him a few more years until he grows up and leaves home. I guess in the back of my mind, I knew my mother was right. I haven't been there like I should've been and it was time to change that.

{Adelina POV}

The very next morning was a bit hectic. I still felt bad about leaving Cristiano's home like that, but I definitely did not want to be involved in any family drama, when I had just gotten out of my own.  His mother seemed tough, and I shouldn't cross her. I shook all the thoughts of yesterday out of my head and focused on today, a very important day.

Today was the start of the boys' first day at school. It was the middle of the school semester here in Portugal, so enrolling them this far into the year was a bit tough, especially since they spoke very little Portuguese. I had faith in them, however. They tried their very best to speak to me without using English words. It was pretty adorable.

After they got ready in the morning, I dropped them off at their new school and headed off in search for jobs. Moving into a new country was risky, especially with a tight budget. I made the awful mistake of quitting my job without having another one lined up. I had to basically start my career all over again.

But before I could start looking for a new job, I decided to take a coffee break at Starbucks. Rushing in the morning usually never gave me time to sit down and have breakfast, unless it was a weekend. 

To my luck, the place wasn't too crowded like I figured it'd be at 9 in the morning. Walking up to the register, I pulled out my card and ordered a grande espresso con panna.

The cashier smiled and swiped my card. The look on his face quickly changed to concern when he looked back up at me.

"Uhm, senhora?"

"Sim? Qual e o problema?" I asked, asking what the trouble was.

"Seu cartao foi recusado," he said, handing my card back.

Declined? I half smiled and started digging into my purse to find any loose bills or change. No luck.

"Uhh, okay. Sorry," I said, turning around. I kept my head down, but I bumped into someone instantly.

"It's on me," he said, walking up to the register and reordering my drink.

I looked up at him in confusion. "Cristiano, what are you doing?"

He just smiled softly at me and walked to the pick-up station. I was feeling a bit embarrassed and slightly relieved I still got my coffee.

"Thank you." I said softly.

We had taken a seat at a table shortly after I got my cup of coffee. There was a few seconds of awkward silence; neither of us wanting to strike up conversation.

"I'm sorry," he said after a while.

"For what?"

"For what my mom told you yesterday-"

His voice trailed on as if he was going to say more, but I quickly put my hand up to stop him.

"No, don't apologize. I'm glad she did; I don't want to get in the middle of anything."

He shook his head. "But there's nothing you're getting in the middle of."

"Didn't seem like it," I said, taking a sip of my coffee.

Cristiano sighed, putting his head down then looked back at me. "My mother- she's known to escalate things... There's no drama going on. I just need to spend time with my son."

I nodded my head, understanding what he was telling me. I smiled as I caught his glimpse towards me. I snapped out of my quick distraction and checked the time.

"Oh man, I have to get going. It was nice seeing you again, Cristiano," I said, getting up.

"Where are you off to? I could give you a ride..." he offered, as he got up as well.

I smiled as we started exiting the building. "I'm off to apply for jobs and make some calls."

"What kind of job are you looking for?"

"I don't think it's anything you can help me with." I shook my head.

"Try me," he smirked.

"I used to work in public relations when I lived in New York."

"Then you're hired," he said. "Well not officially, but I can run this by some people and surely you got yourself a job."

I stood there in front of him, a bit speechless. I honestly did not want to believe that he would be offering me a job this easily. I felt some heat rise to the surface of my cheeks. Why was I blushing? I asked myself. It wasn't like I liked him or anything; I barely knew him. I told myself it was the sweet offer that had me feeling so strangely.

"Um, I don't know what to say," I mumbled, gently biting a part of my bottom lip.

"Hmm maybe 'thank you?'" he said with a chuckle.

I smirked and nodded. "Thank you, Cristiano. This means a lot."

"What are friends for."

Friends.

I didn't quite think friends would be the right term to summarize our 'relationship', but it was a start.