Madison

5 YEARS LATER

"Hurry up!" I call up the steps. "You two are going to be late for the bus!"

"Maddy can't put her jacket on." Darcy says, appearing at the top of the steps.

She's fully dressed, even has her back pack on her shoulders and shoes on, too.

I sigh, running up the stairs and going to Maddy's room.

"Sorry, mommy." She apologizes as I sit down on the floor, attempting at her jacket.

"It's okay." I sigh.

I can't really blame her and say it's her fault. My alarm didn't go off, so I got up late. But it was only 30 minutes late.

I called my boss and told him that I was going to be late. I woke them up and told them to get dressed, have them eat a granola bar also.

After that, I sent them upstairs to get their jackets and this is what happens. I'll have to go grab another jacket for her from the store after work. Darcy needs more scrapbook paper, anyway..

I get her jacket done and rush everyone downstairs.

As soon as we reach the stairs, the bus pulls up and I make them run out the door, catching their bus right in time.

I wave to them as the bus pulls away

Going back inside, I rush to get myself ready for work. I turn the TV on, that's in the bedroom, as I pull on clothes.

I switch it to the news. I always watch the news before I go to work.

"One Direction is going on another tour!"

I stop dead in my tracks, slowly pulling on my skinny jeans as I listen to the telly.

"It's only been 4 months since One Directions last tour, After Midnight, but they chose to have another tour. They'll be travelling to America this time, and Alaska.

"They will be stopping at many states this time, which includes Maine, Idaho, California-"

California. I live in California.. Oh, my god. What if he finds me? What if he finds Darcy or Maddy?

I switch the TV off, not wanting to hear anymore.

~*~*~

"Morning, Mia!" I am greeted by one of my co-workers, Christy.

"Morning, Christy!" I greet back, grabbing a cup of coffee.

"Did the girls catch their bus on time?" She asks, taking a bite of her bagel.

Nobody's really gotten started yet, which thank God on my part. Everyone's still enjoying there coffee and breakfast like they always do in the mornings here.

"Yes. Close call, though." I laugh, sitting by her at the table.

A guy walks in and he greets both of us, pouring a cup of coffee from the pot on the counter.

"Hello, Dave." I smile as he takes a seat across from us.

"Mia.." He starts. "Did you hear on the news, about-"

"Yes." I interrupt. I already know what he's going to say.

Dave and Christy are one of my closest friends, so I told them what had happened. You can actually trust them.

"Mia!" An intern girl pops her head through the door. "The boss wants you."

I look to Dave and Christy and they both shrug their shoulders. Standing up, I take the last sip of my coffee and walk out of the lounge to the bosses office.

We are pretty good friends, so I'm not that worried if I'm in trouble.

Rachael. We hang out a lot, when we aren't working and I don't have the kids. Darcy likes to go to sleepovers often and Maddy stays over at Christy's house a lot.

Christy has a little girl, Stephanie, around Maddy's age, so they are best friends.

Dave on the other hand, he's single. He moved her not too long ago. A year or two ago.

His wife died about 3 years ago and he just wanted to get away from his home back in Maine.

He has no kids, not even family. The only person he has is his brother, Richard. They're pretty close and Everytime I run into him at the store, he's with him. I think they share a house together, actually.

Rachael just recently got married and she wants to start trying for a baby. Everyone's younger than me. I'm nearly 40 years old..

Well..

Rachael is around my age, but she's not older than me.

I push Rachael's office door open and take a seat across from her at the desk.

"Good morning, Mia." She greets.

So, she's not mad..

"Morning." I greet.

"I have a few questions for you.." She says, leaning back into her chair.

"Okay." I say, placing my hands in my lap.

"I'm sure you heard about One Direction coming to our state, correct?" I nod, wearily. "Well, they are in fact coming to LA and I was wondering if you would like the next few weeks off while they are here. I know it's hard, and I want to make this easy for you.."

"Really?" I ask, shocked she would do this.

"Yes. I am doing this as both your boss and friend. I don't want you to run into him again or maybe something worse, Mia.." She explains.

I nod. "I guess. I mean-"

"I will pay you for your leave. It'll just be like maternity leave." She smiles, sliding an envelope across the table.

I open it and it reveals $500.

"Shit, Rachael." I gasp. "Are you serious, I can't take this." I shake my head, sliding it back across her desk.

"I insist. The whole office insists. When you were late, I had the office sign a petition if we should do this or not.

"Mia, you're too nice to everyone and you deserve a break.. The office has more money than they should and your days off start today." She beams, sliding g the envelope back to me.

I stand up, taking the envelope.

"Thank-you, so much, Rachael." I thank her, walking over to her and giving her a hug.