Ch3: Freedom

Elsie's POV

"Uncle Danny? Do I really have to go?" I asked from the other side of the bathroom door. If you hadn't noticed by now, I lock myself in the bathroom when I panic or I'm upset. Grandpa let me stay in Daddy's old bedroom last night because I was too tired to go home with Uncle Danny who, if I am getting taken away from my mom, has guardianship over me since he is my godfather. He is currently trying to convince me to come to his precinct to confront my mom. "Elsie, you know you have to go if you want to stay with me. Unless you want us to be charged for kidnap and then sent back to her or put into adoption, you need to come with me. We don't want that now, do we?" I sighed because I knew he was right. "Uncle Danny... I'm scared." "I'll be there the whole time angel, don't worry. I won't let her lay a finger on you." I sat their for a few minutes but I stood up and unlocked the door and opened it. "Promise you won't leave me?" "Promise." I knew he was true to his word, he always was.

I walked downstairs with my uncle trailing behind me. I was wearing some ripped skinny jeans that I brought in my backpack along with my old combat boots and I found one of Daddy's old NYPD hoodies. It was too big and the sleeves went over my hands but it was comfortable and still smelt of him. I needed a part of him close to me today. I know he is gone but I've always felt him still with me. I gave Grandpa a kiss on the cheek and a hug before saying bye. He'll probably be leaving to 1PP soon. Everyone filled me in on what's been going on since I left. Nothing much has changed but I was surprised to here that Uncle Jamie decided to be a Cop after all but I was proud of him and from what I heard, he works more like my Dad who stuck to the books and was called the perfect Cop. We walked out the Police Commissioners house and entered Uncle Danny's car. He had already called my Mom to meet us at the precinct. I could feel the anxiety creeping up on me as we drove but I just held my arms around my Dad's hoodie, making me feel safer.

Uncle Danny parked the car and got out but I sat there for a few minutes until he knocked the car window. I took a deep breath and got out the car. "You okay, kid?" Truthfully, I was trying my best not to have a panic attack but I had to keep pushing forward. "Yeah... Yeah, I'm fine." I reassured myself more than him. He didn't push the matter any further and lead me inside. We entered an office like room filled with desks but around the sides were either offices, holding cells or interdiction rooms. Everyone was minding their own business and didn't really pay attention to my Uncle and I walking through. He lead me to his desk and as we approached, the Latina or Hispanic woman who sat at the opposite desk stood up to greet us. "You found her?" "Yep, in the woods behind Central Park. Elsie, this is my partner Maria Baez." I gave her a shy smile and she smiled back. "Hi Elsie, Danny's told me so much about you." We shook hands and I found that I liked this woman. "Elsie, can you sit here while I fill Maria in on what's going on, okay?" I was afraid he was going to leave but before I could say anything, he added, "I'm not going anywhere, I'm just over here." I nodded as he said this. He walked a few feet away with Maria while I sat at his desk. I saw a notepad and thought Uncle Danny wouldn't mind if I took one blank page. I ripped a page out and began to doodle on it. I am more of an athletic person but I was quite good at drawing. I decided to draw a picture of my dad. I had looked at his picture often enough to get it quite accurate. It was one of the few items I took when I ran away, it use to sit on my bedside table and I'd look at it before prying and going to bed every night.

They walked back over, Maria had a look of pity in her eyes. "Okay, I'm going to go into that office right over their to talk to sarge okay? Maria is going to stay with you and if anything is wrong just call for me, got it?" He asked me, I could see the worry in his face. "Okay, Uncle Danny." He patted me on the head before going to the sergeant's office. "He won't be long, he's just giving him an update on what's happening." Maria assured me. I nodded and looked back at my drawing. "Who you drawin' there?" "My daddy. He use to be a detective too." I told her, she was very easy to speak to. "Danny told me a bit about your dad but he mostly keeps to himself. What was your dad like?" "Well, he was a Detective first grade like my Uncle but his badge number was 46808. He was always there for me when I needed him and he always made sure he had time for me. He was the best dad I could ever ask for." I finished with a small thoughtful smile but it was quickly wiped away when I saw the woman who replaced my caring mother. "Oh, thank god you found her. We'll be going now so-" She came over and was about to take my arm when Maria stood in, "I'm afraid I can't let you do that." "And why not?! My daughter has been missing for three days so I am taking her home!" Mommy demanded and i tried to move away slightly. I didn't like where this was going.

"Ms. Stuart, may we see your knuckles?" She paled when asked this and her expression quickly turned to rage. "Why would you want me to do that exactly?" She spoke to Maria but she glared at me. Uh oh. "Show me you hands, Ms. Stuart!" Maria repeated but this time was completely ignore. "Elsie Mary Stuart, we are going home right now-" "Reagan! My name is Elsie Mary Reagan and I'm not going home with you!" I tried to sound brave but my voice shook slightly. This was a bad move on my part. "You little brat!" Maria didn't see it coming and was thrown into the table, hitting her head hard when my mother stormed towards me. "UNCLE DANNY!!!" I screamed before she grabbed me by the collar and raised her fist. I began to hyperventilate as I closed my eyes and waited for contact that never came. Opening my eyes, I saw Uncle Danny twisting her arm up her back looking extremely pissed.

"Don't you dare lay a hand on my niece ever again!!!" He pinned both her hands behind her back, handcuffing them for physical and mental abuse as well as assaulting a police officer while reading out her rights. She had covered her bruised knuckles with some kind of make up but it came off in the process. I looked around the room. Everyone had risen and had their hands on their holsters but my uncle beat them to it. Some of them were helping Maria up who's head was bleeding. "Baez, you alright?" "Yeah, I'm fine." She answered my uncle. He then turned to me. I was still hyperventilating and curled up into a ball on the floor. I was having a panic attack. "Elsie? Elsie?! Look at me." Uncle Danny sat in front of me as I looked up. "Elsie, breath. Nice n' slow, keep your eyes on me. It's over. She's gone. You don't need to see her again. Just take deep breathes." My dizziness was wearing of as my breathing evened out. I eventually calmed down in my uncle's arms as he whispered words of comfort which raised a few eyebrows since most people didn't see this soft side of the ruthless detective. I felt relief. I was free from the pain and free from it happening again. "Thank you, Uncle Danny, for everything." "Anything for our little angel."