Chapter Fifteen

If we could have a theme song, any theme song right now, I think we’d be rocking Back in Black by ACDC as we skateboard recklessly to The Lunch Box. We’re whooping on the top of our lungs and making war calls, the boys beating their chests savagely. My heart thumps in my chest, my stomach doing excited flips. The adrenaline is coursing through my body in anticipation. I feel nothing but the thrill.

I glance over at Sean and Austin, who are wearing ridiculous disguises. Sean wears a baseball cap and sunglasses with a zip-up hoodie while Austin looks like he could rob a bank in all black. I’ve covered my war outfit with one of Sean’s hoodies and a pair of sweatpants, my face concealed under the hood of the sweatshirt. Sure, we look suspicious, but that’s what makes this so hilarious and exciting.

The sky is darkening, the glow of a soft sunset barely hiding the glow of the moon. The smell of earth fills my nose and damp air attacks any visible skin. The faint sound of music tugs at my ears as The Lunch Box comes into view. Multi-colored lights flash from inside, carrying a hardcore drum roll with it. I feel myself smile. We’ve stopped cheering and quietly creep closer to The Lunch Box. The sound of wheels on gravel crunches in my ears, mixing with the sick sound of the Heartbreaker’s music.

Austin and Sean jump off their skateboards and I hop off mine, setting it just outside the door before entering the building. The sound of the jingling bells above the door is drowned out by Justin’s voice. His singing voice is low enough to sound rocker-ish, yet flexible enough to reach high notes. People really can’t help themselves from liking the sound of his voice, but I’m so annoyed with him that I can admit to saying it makes me sick.

Slowly, I hide myself in the crowd, pulling my hood over my eyes more. Sean takes off to the front of the stage, but I lose sight of him in seconds. Austin follows him and I wait for his return. My body sways to the song, pretending to look natural.  Alex’s drum beat is powerful and Kris’s fingers impressive on the guitar strings. Yet, I want to laugh. I know what’s about to happen, where as they are clueless. I close my eyes and listen, recognizing their choice in break-up songs.

I wake up every evening

With a big smile on my face

And it never feels out of place

And you're still probably working

At a nine to five pace

I wonder how bad that tastes

My lips curl in a sneer, my eyes snapping open and rolling in a full circle. As funny as this all is, I can’t help but feel offended by the song.

When you see my face

Hope it gives you hell

When you walk my way

Hope it gives you hell

Now where's your picket fence love

And where's that shiny car

And did it ever get you far

You never seemed so tense love

I've never seen you fall so hard

Do you know where you are

And truth be told I miss you

And truth be told I'm lying

He misses us. He can’t lie about that. He has to miss us. How can he not miss us? We’re the better half of the band!

Suddenly, Austin pushes through the crowd and shoves a mic in my hand before hurrying back to the front. I watch him for a moment and look down at the mic. Hold it, this isn’t my mic. I glance back up at Justin and see him holding my mic. I can tell because it has red tape wrapped around the base. My hands tighten around Justin’s mic in frustration. Why! Why is he using my mic? That thing is sacred he’s not allowed to touch it!