Chapter 55: (B)

I strained my ears, trying to hear everything going on in the room where Lola sat on the other side of the house. Unsuccessfully. I couldn't hear a thing. All I could hear was that Dad and the kids had got back from their day out somewhere and Harper was all excited. Lola was the guest, so Mum had gone to talk to her and left me in her home conference room to calm down. I couldn't. How could I just sit here and relax and wipe away my tears like nothing had happened when it had.
It had.

And it was all because of me. I'm so selfish! All I cared about was having Lola back here with me, not caring if I tore apart her family.
Mum and Dad would surely come in when Lola was gone, and I'd be punished like never before. Whatever they do to me it won't be as bad as what Lola will do. Oh god she'll never speak to me again.

A couple of minutes later the doorbell rang and Lola's Aunt Sally's booming voice echoed through the house. She'd be angry too. It seems like everyone is angry at me.

I closed my eyes and sat back on the spinning office chair. I thought back to earlier today, when I was in the police station. They told me that Lola's Dad had a history of drug dealing, and that when he moved out of the country he was off their radar. But when his passport flagged up again a few weeks ago, they were keeping tabs on him. All they needed was my tip off. I told them where to come, and text them at the time. I regretted what I had done as soon as I left the station, but I was scared to turn back. As soon as the doorbell rang and Lola's parents arrived, I had to send that text. It was too late. And now - what a mess. What an absolute mess. I knew it would be bad, but I didn't really think about the fact that I'd have to watch it all unfold and be a part of it.

"Brooklyn?" I heard a voice say, and looked to the door. Dad was coming into the room. He turned the main light off, so that the warm glow of the lamp was diminished by the harsher lights, ready for my interrogation.

"Your Mum's just seeing Lola out then she'll be in." He sat down along the side of the conference table. I didn't look at him. He reached across the table for my hand, to give it a reassuring grip perhaps? I shrugged away and spun round on the chair, away from him. I didn't want to talk to him.

"Look at me please." Dad demanded.
I turned round again.

Mum entered the room a few minutes later.

"She was in such a state, poor girl." Mum closed the door behind her.

"You should have let me talk to her." I said, breaking my silence and thinking how I could have called Lola down. I still can. I'll apologise and kiss her and everything will be fine. She'll see the truth.

"No. It was you that got her in that state in the first place." Mum said. "I'm guessing that's what you argued about earlier as well."

I nodded, keeping my head looking down at the wooden table.

"Brooklyn, we are so proud of you." I raised my head in shock at Dad's words.

"You - you're what?" I stammered.

"You did the bravest thing going to the police. What Lola's Dad was doing was wrong, and you put all feelings aside to protect her. Thats such a noble act." Dad continued.

I was speechless.

"We just wish you'd talked to us first." Mum sighed. "We could have sat down and discussed it. Us and Lola and Sally. It would have made this whole thing a lot easier than calling the police without telling anyone."

I nodded, feeling tears resurface.

"We're not going to punish you for doing the right thing." Dad smiled. "But we do want you to apologise to Lola. She was very vulnerable and you made that worse. You need to sort this all out."

"I'll get her to come to the launch party tomorrow. You guys can talk and make amends." Mum suggested.

"Okay." I nodded again.

"Now go on, get some sleep. You look like you could use it." Dad inclined his head to me.

"Thanks." I stood up and left the room, pretending everything was okay while I was giving my siblings a hug, then going upstairs to my room.

Everything will work out. I'm sure it will. Lola and I will talk, tomorrow at Mum's launch party. We'll make up, get back together, or whatever our crazy roller coaster of a relationship was. Me and her will be stronger than ever. She doesn't need a family, I thought as I rolled over in bed that night. She's got me.

Hey guys! I'm sorry this is so short but it's a bit of a filler. There's only five or so chapters of Stop Me left! Who's sad?

Hopefully a sequel will be coming soon!

Thank you so much for so many reads, it means so so much. Please vote if you enjoyed this and comment what you thought as it's almost the end.

Xx
Fluuctuate