#10: Hate

11 Reasons Why

© Bree Stonefield, 2013

10. Hate

They said there was a thin line between love and hate. She wouldn't, in a million years, argue with that.

The first time she'd laid eyes on him, she'd hated him with every fiber of her being. He was just so... annoying. So terribly making her go crazy with his obnoxiousness and the stupid things he always managed to do.

But there was just something, a little spark among the flames of the burning hatred she felt toward him—or what she believed to be hatred—that just shone differently. It didn't take long for her to look beneath the mask of a class-clown he once appeared to be, and see the real him.

And because of the said "hatred" she had for him, she would slowly notice him more. She would let her eyes linger for a few seconds longer than they should be, she would smile every time he laughed, and eventually, she would feel a flutter inside her chest every time he said her name.

And she could easily cross the love-hate line.

December, 2009

"HEY! Watch where you're going!"

                I looked up to a pair of dark orbs glaring at my hazel ones and took a step back. I met his glare with a small scowl, the familiar feeling of uneasiness making its way into my stomach, turning it and creating knots in it. "You watch where you're going."

                "You were obviously the one with the head down." After that, he took a few seconds to look at me, to fully take in my appearance. His eyebrows rose as recognition of my uniform lit up his face. "Ah. Winifred Pearce Princess, I see."

                I scowled again, only this time, the scowl was much fiercer. I hated it when people recognized my school's uniform and made a fuss about it. The feeling of uneasiness that I had gotten from the sight of this guy washed away, replaced with a new wave of irritation and annoyance, especially after I recognized his uniform. "Arrogant St. John Prince, I see."

                Winifred Pearce Academy and St, John Private School were both private schools, located in the outskirts of the small town of Daisyfields, far away from each other. Winifred Pearce was an all-girls non-boarding school and St. John was an all-boys boarding school, while its sister school, St. Mary, was an all-girls boarding school.

                The guy smirked. But somehow, that smirk looked more amused than intimidating and/or smug. "I am anything but arrogant, trust me."

                I narrowed my eyes at him, before shaking my head and trying to walk past him. The only problem was... he was blocking me. "Hey, move."

                He looked as if he didn't realize that he was purposefully blocking the path in the small hallway, as he tilted his head to the side. "Why should I?"

                "I have somewhere to be and you are blocking my way."

                I sidestepped, only to have him stepping into the side as well. I gave out a long, exasperated sigh.

                "What do you want?"

                He widened his eyes as if surprised. "Me? Oh, nothing. Nothing at all," he said sarcastically. "Just wondering what a goody-two-shoes Winifred Princess was doing here."

                I gaped. "Do you have a problem with us?"

                "Nah, not all of you," he said with raised eyebrows.