Chapter Twenty Nine

Unedited

Chapter Twenty Nine - "That was a rhetorical question. Ravenclaw my arse!"

"We shall have to send all the students home tomorrow," says Professor McGonagall. "This is the end of Hogwarts. Dumbledore always said ..."

The staff-room door bangs open again. For one wild moment, I'm sure it's going to be Dumbledore. But it's Lockhart, and he's beaming.

"So sorry - dozed off - what have I missed?"

Oh my god, he's an idiot!

You just figuring this out now?

No, I just thought I'd reiterate.

Wow, big word!

I need to stop making fun of myself ....

Lockhart doesn't seem to notice that the other teachers are looking at him with something remarkably like hatred. Snape steps forward.

"Just the man," he says. "The very man. A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Taken into the Chamber of Secrets itself. Your moment has come at last.

Lockhart blanches.

"That's right, Gilderoy," chips in Professor Sprout. "Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?"

"I - well, I -" splutters Lockhart.

"Yes, didn't you tell me you were sure you knew what was inside it?" pipes up Professor Flitwick.

Shit's going down....

"D-did I? I don't recall ..."

"I certainly remember you saying you were sorry you hadn't had a crack at the monster before Hagrid was arrested," says Snape. "Didn't you say that the whole affair had been bungled, and that you should have been given a free rein from the first?"

Lockhart stares around at his stony-faced colleagues.

"I ... I really never ... You may have misunderstood ..."

"We'll leave it to you, then, Gilderoy," says Professor McGonagall. "Tonight will be an excellent time to do it. We'll make sure everyone's out of your way. You'll be able to take the monster all by yourself. A free rein at last."

Lockhart gazes desperately around him, but nobody comes to the rescue. He doesn't look remotely handsome anymore. His lip is trembling, and in the absence of his usual toothy grin he looks weak-chinned and weedy.

"V-very well," he says. "I'll - I'll be in my office, getting - getting ready."

And he leaves the room.

"Right," says Professor McGonagall, whose nostrils are flared, "that's got him out from under our feet. The Heads of Houses should go and inform their students what has happened. Tell them the Hogwarts Express will take them home first thing tomorrow. Will the rest of you please make sure no students have been left outside their dormitories."

The teachers rise, and leave one by one.

*

It's probably the worst day of my life. Ron, Harry, Fred, George and I sit together in a corner of the Gryffindor common room, unable to say anything to each other. I'm holding one of Fred's hands and one of George's. Percy isn't here. He sent an owl to Mr and Mrs Weasley, then shut himself up in his dormitory.