Chapter 2

Harley sits down on his swing on his porch. He looks out onto the street watching the mid morning deliveries in the new species section of reservation. He takes a sip of soda when he hears a honk from one of the passing golf carts. He looks up and sees Obsidian driving by waving at him. He smiles and waves back. Harley has to put a front for everybody. He can't let people know what he's feeling inside. He feels something is missing inside of him. And he's been feeling like his since he learned he died. Waking up in the medic center he realized something was different. Harley didn't know what was missing in his life. No matter what he did to fill the void he felt. Not even the amount of new species females or human women he screwed helped. He needed something he just didn't know what it was.

What helped him get through it all was Brass and Moon. Now Moon has mated with Dr. Joy and he rarely saw his best friend/ brother. And that was fine. He wanted his friend to be happy but he couldn't help feeling the twinge of jealousy that hit his gut when he saw them together. Why couldn't he be happy like they were? And it wasn't about the fact that Moon was mated, it was the fact that he was once happy himself. He was happy to be freed. He was happy to be alive and he was happy that he had choices that he wasn't allowed before. Now it was gone and he didn't know the first thing to do to get it back.

The sound of his gate opening and closing broke him out of his thoughts. He watches Moon walk up the steps to his porch.

"Hey brother." Moon says while toughing his shoulder and giving it a squeeze.

Pity. That's what he sees in Moon's eyes now. He swallowed a growl and took another sip of his soda.

"What brings you over here today Moon?' Harley tries to school his face to not show his annoyance. He just wanted to be left alone today.

"Well I came to check up on you and to see if you are ok. I haven't seen you for a couple of days. So I wanted to know if you wanted to go to the cafeteria to get some food. I am meeting up with Joy and I thought maybe you wanted to tag along."

And there it was. A third wheel again.

"Joy. Of course. I don't think so."

"And why not?" Moon growls. "Is it because Joy will be there? Do you have a problem with Joy? Every time I ask you to come do something with us you always refuse."

"I don't have a problem with Joy. I just want to be left alone today."

Moon sighs.

"Brother you are always alone. You need to come and have lunch with us. Come see the new people that will be working in the medical center. Trisha will be there. And she told me that she wants to have lunch with you'

Moon knows what buttons to push to make Harley go. He would never deny Trisha anything. She brought him back from the dead.

"Fine. I will get dressed and I will meet you there."

Moon smiles and hits Harley's arm lightly making him smile. He gets up to walk into the house when Moon calls out to him making him turn around to look at him.

"I don't know what's going on my brother but you need to get a handle on it. You are starting to remind me of males who have given up and pray for death. And I don't want that for you. I will fight for you brother. I will even fight death for you. Remember that. Whatever is bothering you talk to somebody. Hell, talk to Joy. If you don't want to talk we can always have a go at the training room. I can beat it out of you."

Moon winks at him and turns to walk down the stairs and out of his gate. Harley knew he meant it too. He walks into the house to get ready not knowing that his world is about to change.