Chapter 5

Adrian took on Jack's roll as my escort from there. She showed me around the base, attempting to explain all the mysteries.

"The room that we were just in," she went on, "is where we usually receive all our lectures. But we usually go in there in our free time, it's the one place where we can actually be social."

I nodded.

"And this," she said, rushing me into another room, "is where the magic happens."

The room was huge, and I couldn't help a small gasp from escaping. Equipment was strewn everywhere, yet it was all arranged tidily. There was a track in the center of the room, and I had a feeling that I would spend plenty of time running on it.

Adrian laughed, seeing my expression. "Don't worry, you'll get tired of it fast. The gym is where they torture you daily--it'll become a place that you try your best to avoid."

She took my arm and dragged me into another room. "This," she said quietly, "is where we compete. You see those targets?" She pointed over to one of the corners. "That is where we throw knives. And over there"--she gestured to the opposite wall--"that is our shooting range. And that ring"--she showed me a boxing ring that stood in the middle of the room--"is where we fight."

Adrian's somber expression told me that she had no love for this room. Whatever they had done to her here, she didn't like it.

"Do you train here everyday?" I ask, smiling nervously.

She grimaced. "We compete here every Friday night. This is where they give us our Ranking."

"Your Ranking?"

"Yes. Every Friday, we prepare for the Crusade, a tournament in which we show off our knife throwing, our shooting, and our hand-to-hand combat skills. We are opposed to one other person, whom the Cognito select for us. If we win, our Rank goes either up or stays the same. If we lose, well, you know what happens then."

"What's so important about your Ranking?" I asked. "What, will they kick you out of the camp if your Rank gets too high?"

"No," she said, shivering at the thought. "But the Upper-Ranked get special privileges that others don't get. For example: if you're number Five, like me, then you have a warmer shower than number Thirteen. Number One gets more to eat than Number Seven. And that's the little stuff. The Top Ten also get to go outside the base to visit their family once a month, and they're the ones who receive all the favoritism."

"How many people are in the system?"

"There are a bit more than two hundred Fortem at this base. All of them are Ranked." 

Wow. And she was a Five. I couldn't help but be impressed. 

"Well, come on, then." She shifted on her feet uncomfortably. "Don't you want to see the mess hall?"

Adrian finished the tour after introducing me to rooms that included (but were not limited to) a study hall, a couple classrooms, a dining hall, the infirmary, the Fortem common room, the Vitae common room, and the Cognito common room. 

"Does it look good to you so far?" Adrian asked, already knowing what I was going to say. 

"Are you kidding me? I love it!"

"Good," she grinned, but the grin was forced. "Before I go, I have one last thing to tell you."

She leaned down next to my ear, her goofy expression replaced with a solemn one. "Your mother is still alive."

***

This is the shortest chapter I have written in a while, and although I know you guys won't agree, I'm pretty okay with this because it was a filler chapter anyways. In my opinion, it was actually one of the worst chapters (but oh well). I just wanted to set you guys up with another something to hold you off for a while--and why not leave you on a cliffhanger while I'm at it? I know, I'm evil. ;)

I'm going to be honest here: I have never written and published so much in so little time. And I am SO, SO sorry that I didn't publish right away when I received 75 votes, but that's because I didn't have a chapter ready...

But that's enough excuses for a day. Now for the thank you's: WE MADE IT TO #117 in SciFi! 

I have decided that I should enter this book into the Watty's. Do you think it stands a chance?

Because I don't think I will be able to have a good chapter ready in a day, I'm going to raise the required votes for the update to 110 votes. 

If you want another chapter (and fast) tag some friends here that you think would enjoy the book.

And one last thing (I'm sorry about such a long authors note!): Have you seen the new poster on the Prelude yet? IT'S AMAAAAAZING! -VoidGilbert- made it for me--I'm in love. Thank you so much!

Till next time!
~Elle

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Aug 02, 2016 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Eclipse (#Wattys2016)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें