The Truth

James was in a cross mood as he left the common room. He was tired of Bel, her lackeys, and all the trouble they had been causing him. His mind was constantly filled with meandering thoughts about what she had wanted to steal and her impending plans. He was so sick of them, the mere thought disgusted him. James rarely went half an hour without jabbering on about something suspicious Bel did or a look Scorpius had sent him from across the dining hall. Teddy and Victoire would always nod off during this part, passing notes under the table while James vehemently ranted on, completely oblivious to his friends' lack of interest. While they supported James in the notion that Bel was not quite right, his myriad of fervent rants had become mildly obsessive. In James's mind, almost anything beyond perfectly normal could manage to be accredited to Bel through an intricate web that was thoroughly impossible to retrace unless you were James himself. The only thing that distracted him from his repulsively repetitive declarations of Bel's every wrong-doing was waiting for a letter back from his father. It seemed as if every single person knew who he was, or at least his father, except him! At first, it had been annoying but now James was downright infuriated. He couldn't act like he knew without making a fool out of himself and he couldn't ask anyone without sounding like a complete numbskull. Before every meal, he went straight to the Owlery to search for either Eleusis or Millicent, neither of whom had returned yet.

He found that he had to spend immense amounts of time roaming the castle or in the library to take his mind off the impending knowledge. The day after the library break-in, he had come back for his bag that contained the cloak and observed that Pince had put many new precautions on the library to prevent burglars. It seemed nearly impossible that anyone could steal anything from the library ever again.

James was just a few steps from the common room, on his way to detention when he caught up with Teddy and Victoire. They were accompanied by a tall second year named Liam Pepin. Liam was lean and muscular, light eyes and short blonde hair. He seemed to be vainly attempting to court Victoire. He had started this process towards the beginning of the year, among many others who admired Victoire's beauty and kind heart. James and Teddy referred to it as "Torie's String of Star-Crossed Lovers," but, they found Liam to be incredibly more annoying and persistent than any of the others. As James walked forward, he caught Liam's foot, causing him to trip over his robes. Victoire sent him a look of relief before calling out to Liam, "Sorry Liam, we really must be going now!"

"You know Vicky, you're quite picky with all the lads," Teddy joked.

"Oh, shut up, and don't call me that!" Victoire fumed.

"What? You don't like what I call you, Picky Vicky?" Teddy roared with laughter, changing his features to mirror an enraged Victoire.

"Fine, Edward," she hissed.

Teddy suddenly became serious, "Alright, alright, I'm done, just don't say that again."

"What, you don't like what I call you, Edward?" Victoire said in a mocking tone.