Prologue

The wind was blowing, peacefully through the orange tinted leaves as two twelve year olds were running down below. They were chasing each other around the thick tree, erupting in laughter as they tagged each other. As soon as they started panting, they sat down on the soft grass.

"I'm gonna miss this.." John says sadly as he leans against the tree trunk.

"Yeah, me too." Scarlet leans against his shoulder.

They both sit there in silence, relishing their last few moments together. Scarlet was going to New York with her Aunt Peggy, to learn about art and improve her skills.

"When will you come back?"

"When the time's right." Scarlet stares at the swaying, long grass, with glassy eyes; she didn't know when she'd come back.

"Hey, John?" She looks up at him. She immediately regrets this move as she finds her face inches away from his.

He remains silent, as his wandering eyes are running along every detail on her face. His eyes linger on her lips. He subconsciously leans in and closes his eyes as she too, leans in. They both melt into the soft and sweet kiss, as the sound of the rustling leaves become distant.

They slowly pull away from the kiss, blushing profusely. Their stomachs erupt with butterflies as they look at each other with wide eyes. Scarlet looks away from him and focuses her attention back onto the grass. Her hand instinctively wraps around her little pendant John gave her for her 11th birthday. He smiles, knowing she does this action when she's nervous.

A thousand thoughts race through their mind as they've just experienced their first kiss.

"What was-"

"Just think of it as a see-ya-later gift." John interrupts. "When you come back, we can talk about it."

"Pinky promise?" She sits on her legs as she turns around to face him, holding her pinky finger out.

"Pinky promise." He entwines their pinkies together.

They both watch each other as they bring their pinkies up to their mouth, to kiss it. They both smile at each other as they press their lips against their pinkies.