I

Scarlet steps off of the bus and plants herself on the dry pavement, covered with cracks and old gum. She smiles upon the empty streets with accomplishment. As soon as she received the letter containing the information of her twin-brother's passing, she had been working endlessly to return back home to comfort her mourning family. She knew well enough that she couldn't make it back in time for his funeral by the amount of money she would receive weekly from waitressing, but she still wanted to return.

A warm, salty tear trails down her cheek as multiple memories with her and her older brother flash through her mind. "Six years.." Her voice slightly cracks. She brings the back of her hand to her face to wipe all of the discharge from her eyes and nose. And decides to take a walk.

She adjusts her backpack and starts walking down the streets with a little jump in every step; her thoughts trailed to her younger brother. She was fairly excited, yet hesitant to reunite with him. She was afraid that he would be furious with her, leaving him alone, to live with our oblivious parents. They stopped paying attention to him when Scarlet had gotten praised at school, for her painting and drawing skills, and when Denny scored the captain position in football, in his first year in high school. She, along with Denny, tried their very best to make their parents acknowledge their youngest son. They occasionally succeeded.

She was far too deep in her thoughts to even realise what was occurring around the corner. Luckily she was snapped out of her thoughts as she heard a boy yelling. She started running towards the corner. Her eyes widen as they laid upon the scene; an older teen was holding down a younger boy, holding a lit cigarette near the boy's face, gradually bringing it closer.

She absentmindedly walks towards the two and proceeds with her upcoming actions as the sound of her heartbeat overpowers their yelling. She bends over and smoothly runs her hand against the older teen's hand and slides the cigarette between her fingers.

He freezes as he feels the warm touch of someone's hand brush against the back of his hand. She stands up straight and takes a drag from the cig as the older teen furiously stands to see who interrupted his attempt at forcing the little boy to apologise.

"Leave the kid alone, asshole." She blows the smoke in his face and drops the cig, as he glares. Her eyes scan his features. He had blonde hair, some stubble and familiar blue eyes. She tilts her head as she's trying to remember if they've ever encountered each other. He too, was staring into her green orbs, trying to figure out who she was. She watches with amusement as he starts to open his mouth; waiting for his insult.

"You fucking who-"

"Scarlet?" Scarlet looks towards the direction of where she heard her name. She sees a skimpy boy with red shirt, standing next to the boy who was previously held down.

"It is you!" The boy exclaims. The boy sees the look of confusion plastered on the girl's face. "It's me, Gordie."

"Gordie?!" Her eyes widen as she examines his appearance.

"Scar?" The older teen softly questions. She turns to look at him as she hears her nickname. She watches as his cold eyes soften.

"John?"

"John.." The chambers' both snort. Earning a glare from Ace.

Scarlet turns around to look at the other teen. "Rich?" Her eyes instantly stares at the hat on his head. "What're you doing with my brother's yankees hat?" She walks up to him.

"It's mine no-"

Scarlet yanks the hat off and slaps him upside the head, earning the two young boys to erupt in laughter. She walks towards Gordie and brings him into a warm embrace and places the hat on his head. She slightly smirks as she turns to see Ace checking her out.