Chapter 2

I'm baaaaccccckkkk! On to the story!

I walked along the road trying to get to Tulsa. I wasn't getting any where though. I tried thumbing rides and most people ignored me. I'd heard about Tulsa though. The Greasers and Socials? I loved a good fight and all. Beating someone's head in was cool. I didn't mind blades and all, but I had me a blade. And someone finally stopped.
"Hi. Are you headed toward Tulsa?" It was a man, so my blade was in my hand. He looked middle class.
"I ain't driving you, Greaser!" I glared at him. But found it a lost cause.
"You aren't worth a fight." I mumbled. He drove off. I walked in that direction. It had been an hour until I finally found a gas station. The sun was going down so I made a bed.
"Hey! You! Out! Customers are coming in!" I sat up. Ah, mornings. This wasn't a DX (She isn't in Tulsa yet) I walked in. That same guy glared.
"May I help you?"
"Yes, actually."
"What?"
"Could you point me toward Tulsa?"
"Head down the state road thatta way."
"Thanks. Can I have a pack of Camel Cancer Sticks?"
"Sure." I paid and left. Soon, I was walking the road toward my home town.

*Two Hours Later*

I walked along the highway. Soon, I noticed subtle differences and soon they were big. Some cars were fancy, others cheap. I was also being called Greaser 24/7. Soon, a yellow mustang pulled beside me.
"Hey there, cutie? Need a ride?" I flipped my blade open.
"Um, no."
"Come back here, baby!" I couldn't resist. I threw a rock in the window and when they all came out-5 in total-I knew I was being jumped. My blade was hidden in my pocket. I punched the main line and he was out cold. I think they got the message cause they left. But a police officer was watching. Crap.
"Hello, ma'am. Can I have a name?"
"Grace." He chuckled.
"Real name."
"GRACE! WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO BELIEVE ME?"
"Come with me. Grace, where were you headed?"
"Tulsa, Oklahoma."
"I work at a station there. Why are you in Kansas?"
"Cause my mom lives here."
"How old are you?"
"19."
"Why didn't you leave earlier?" He said, eyeing my bruise on my cheek.
"Cause I'd starve."
"And the bruise?" I quit talking.
"Get in the back." I sat there. The whole 8 hour ride. I ate some but stared at my blade. He stopped suddenly and it sliced into my finger. I screamed a swear word. He gave me a look until he saw my finger. He tossed a towel back and I stopped the blood flow eventually. Then I wiped my blade down. We arrived in Tulsa.

I walked into the station. Howls and whoops and whistles filled the room.
"I'm not hot." I muttered.
"Believe me Grace, you are."
"Mums never lie."
"Yours did." We walked to a questioning room. I sat down. The norm. Some other guy came in.
"You act as though you've done this before."
"I have in Juvenal Hall."
"Oh boy. Name, Grease?"
"What is a Greaser?"
"Are you from around here?" I thought my accent woulda given a clue.
"Kansas, why?"
"Greasers are the dumb poor hoodlums."
"So Socials are rich?"
"They call them Socs, but yeah. What is your full name?"
"Grace something. Mom never talked about it."
"Helpful."
"Started with a W. My dad lives here with his son."
"Hmm. I'll check with Winston. Before he gets sent home." He left and came back.
"Winston has no clue." I groaned.
"Get out." When I walked back out, the noise started till I yelled for them to shut up. So I left. I didn't want my cigarettes so I gave them to a kid named "Curly". Then I headed toward a DX. When I came in, there was a boy surrounded by ladies. He had golden hair and brown eyes. But, I was not interested in him. I grabbed doughnuts and a Pepsi. Then I heard toward the register and waited. He came over with some sort of movie star grin. Not the kinda guy I like. He looks like a goodie goodie kid. A greaser I suppose though.
" Hi, I'm Sodapop. Welcome to the DX!" I couldn't help but smile. He had that talent.
"Hi. I'm Grace."
"Golly, cute name. You single?" Dude! I got death glares!
"Uninterested. Sorry, Soda-pop?" He nodded.
"Um, wanna hang out? I've got a gang of boys who'd love ya."
"Hey Soda... Who are you?" Some guy walked in.
"Why I'm the cutest guy around!" Soda joked. Several girls giggled. I shrugged. You could say humor isn't my strong suit.

I took my breakfast and Soda stopped me.
"I can tell you need a place to stay. Something about me trusts you. Anyway, go here," He pointed toward a house, "and take a shower. Use our Mom's clothes."he sorta hesitated," Whatever. Food and stuff. Door is unlocked! Couch is open. Boys may be there. Just say Soda told me! You should be fine." I walked off.