01 - Faerie Queene

I could hear my Father's footsteps and the beating of his wings as he walked towards me. The blindfold that rested comfortably over my eyes kept me from seeing him, but I knew he was there. At the sound of the air shifting to the left of me to make way for the deadly blade in my Father's hand, I stepped away, blocking the incoming weapon with my own Fae Blade, which had been gifted to me by my Father himself when I had reached my inheritance at 16. He swung once more, this time to the right, and I took my blade and swung it, twisting it with enough force so that he dropped the blade. I caught it, turned it on him, and smirked.

"Do you yield?" I asked, my voice sickly sweet and smug.

I could hear him release a breath and step back. I dropped his sword and pulled off my blindfold. I gave him a lopsided grin and placed my sword back in its "decorative" spot on the wall. My wings, ones that looked like a Desert Orange Tip's, spread out from my back.

I gave my Father a wink as I shrunk from my Common Folk size down to my Fae one and zoomed off, into the skies of New York

Now, New York, especially at my Fae size, was huge. Even at the size of the Common Folk I could understand why it was called the "Big Apple". Once I landed somewhere on the Seelie Court side of the Shakespeare Garden, I turned back to Common Folk size and started to walk around. It was only until it was too late that I realised I had walked straight into:

"A Trapping Circle! Damn the Spirits Above." I yelled, looking out amongst the trees and shrubbery. "Who did this?"

A man, obviously not of the Fair Folk, for he was to big, came out from behind a cluster of trees and bushes. I could feel Old Magik rolling off him, maybe not in waves, but in large amounts. He may not be of the Common Folk, but he sure as Otherworld wasn't something I had ever seen.

"I did." He said, his back ramrod straight and his eyes darting from place to place, hoping not to be seen. "I need information."

I rolled my eyes, scoffing. "If you want information, go catch a Dryad. I hear they're quite the gossips."

Now, no one could call me out for telling a lie, as anyone who had met a Dryad - myself included - knew that they could blabber on and on for days on end about all the information they had collected while in tree form. It did help that they need not breathe. One of those damned Sprites always seemed to catch me at the least convenient of times, ready to talk my ear off.

The man looked at me, as if studying me, before saying, "Well, they aren't as knowledgable on the Seelie Court as yourself."

I felt my blood run cold as my hand gave a twitch. Had my wings been out, they would have given a nervous flutter. But, as they were not, my eyelashes gave that response instead. What was this man - what ever he was, for he was not of the Fair Folk, and certainly not a Common - doing, knowing about the Seelie Court?

I felt my tongue slide out to wet my drying lips, said lips pursing nervously.

"How do you know of such things, Mortal?" My voice sounded obviously strained, and, had I not been confined in this Spirits Forsaken Trapping Circle, I would have likely taken his head off.