Prologue

Singing the lyrics in one of the many books she had come to love in the several that could be found in her attic, Charlie traced along the full-length mirror, which sat by the single circular window in the center of the wall, with a red crayon. She'd hum some of the words here and there when hearing her friend moan with joy.

She smiled, a smile of two missing front teeth, putting down the crayon as she continued to sing to the mirror, her voice grainy and delicate. Her hazel eyes, wide with wonder, gleamed as she watched the dark, dancing swirls within the mirror's surface. The moaning howls adjusted themselves, and soon, were humming with her.

Standing as the voice, much deeper than her own, began to hum, Charlie began to spin on her toes, her arms stretching out around her as her raven strands swayed above her shoulders and the skirt of her black dress fanned out in the gust she created. She giggled as the voice hummed, the dark swirls seemingly fluttering in tune within the mirror as they neared the end of the lyrics.

But as they grew closer, the sudden sound of someone calling out Charlie's name startled her, making her stumble and trip over the book she had been reading from. Bare foot kicking into it and sending it thudding against the mirror, the blood red hardcover closed over the fluttering pages, revealing the darkened satanic drawings engraved on its surface. The voice in the mirror whimpered and wailed as Charlie struggled to get back to her feet, starting out on her knees.

"Ugh ..." she exhaled through the pain, her knee having been scrapped.

"Hey, Charlie! You up there?" yelled one of the neighbor's kids, a friend of her brothers. "Come out and play!" the little boy yelled.

The frantic and worried sounds of the trapped voice soon turned to those of anger and hatred, the mirror actually beginning to trembling in the demon's growing rage, the dark swirls whipping around the mirror's surface violently. The feet of the mirror rattled against the creaky wood floor as Charlie hurried to her feet, her hands reaching for the mirror's frame as a person would someone's shoulders to calm them.

"It's okay ..." Charlie cooed. "I'm okay."

Gradually the rattling stopped, but the voice continued on in a mixture of anger and worry. Glancing out of the window, being careful not to be seen, Charlie saw the boy who had been calling out to her, standing next to her older brother, who was crossing his arms in irritation, and another one of his friends.

"Charlie!" the boy shouted again, but Charlie stayed quiet, wary of the group, and instead slid down to sit against the wall below the window.

"Give it up, Danny," her brother sighed with a roll of his eyes and shake of his head. "She never comes outside. She's always in the stupid attic reading those weird books."

"Yeah," the girl beside him nagged. "She's such a little freak."

"Sometimes I hear her talking to herself up there. I swear she's got an imaginary friend," her brother scoffed.

"Oh my god," the girl snorted. "That's so pathetic. Isn't she like ten already?"

"I know. I can't believe she's my sister," he groaned. "Come on, let's go already. Let her play with her imaginary friend."

Eyes low as the group left from in front of the house, Charlie slowly brought her knees to her chest, hugging them close as she fought back the forming tears. Again, the mirror whined, wanting to see the little girl's face, sensing her sadness. Sniffling, Charlie wiped her eyes with furrowed brows and pouting lips as she crawled back in front of the whining mirror.

"Don't listen to them," she pouted, gaze firm as she watched the whirling black swirls. "I don't want to play with them, anyway," she huffed, wiping at her eyes again. But still, the mirror wailed with skeptical sorrow. "I won't leave you," Charlie smiled, warmth in her eyes. "Someday, I'll take you outside, and we'll play together, and make them jealous, okay?"

This time, the mirror purred in agreeance, and Charlie's smile grew, only to fade a moment later when her name was called again, this time by her mother. Turning around, Charlie immediately began to tart towards the attic's stairs, but grunted when feeling herself become stuck. Looking down, she noticed the familiar elongated shadow beneath her, which stretched from beneath the mirror. Again, it whined, not wanting to let her leave.

"I have to eat dinner," Charlie explained, trying to pull her feet free. "I'll come back after, okay?"

Another whine, but Charlie smiled, looking back to the mirror, which now held a dark figure, made up of the once floating swirls, a pair of red eyes within it. Slowly the shadow retracted, freeing her and allowing her to leave. Again, Charlie darted for the stairs, her reflection coming into view on the mirror's surface as the swirls possessively circled around it.

[Thanks for reading! This is my first time doing a prologue, and I really enjoyed it. What do you think? This is also my first time attempting paranormal. I'm hoping I'm not disappointing?]