Chapter 132

*1 hour before*

Niall’s POV

I watch from my position in the warm sand, waiting for what seemed like hours for Meri’s response. I was on one knee, in the sand, in an uncomfortable monkey suit, but I didn’t mind. I was willing to be uncomfortable for a few minutes if it meant it made her happy.

I had just revealed my heart and soul to this girl through those notes and the song, ending it all with the most important question I had ever asked. My heart drops as she seem to hesitate for a moment. Her facial expressions were unreadable, making my heart race to immeasurable speed. It stops all together as she shakes her head to say no. The tears in her eyes prove that there is an underlying reason behind her answer. My eyebrows furrow together as I rise to my feet, stepping towards her, carefully, as if I didn’t want to scare her away. She seemed so fragile. Her eyes refuse to meet mine, so I cup her chin in my hand, pulling her face up to meet mine. Something wasn’t right.

“Can you give me a reason?”, I inquire, hope rising inside of me that I could possibly solve the issue. My hands cradle her head while my thumbs move to below her yes, wiping away the few tears.

“I-I’m not done with school. I can’t get married before I’m out of school.”, she replies, turning away from me to walk away. I latch onto her arm, maneuvering myself to stand in front of her. She looks away from me again as I try to search her watery eyes.

“We don’t have to get married right away!”, I inform her, bringing her head to my chest, protectively wrapping my arms around her. “We can wait until you are ready, no matter how long it takes. I just want to be able to know that you will be mine. I want you to know how committed I am to you, and how much I love you. I can’t let you go.”, I whisper, ending with a small kiss to her scalp.

“I just can’t, Niall. I’m not ready.”, she says. Her voice sounded weak and hurt. I can’t bare seeing her this way.

“What are you not ready for, princess?”, I ask, compassionately.

“The hate, Niall. I can’t deal with any more hate than I’m already getting.”

*Back to present time*