Chapter Three - Kaiya

It had been eliminated. Luckily, Brett’s mother had only been six weeks pregnant so it hadn’t felt like they’d killed an actual human being. It had been a rough few days for me too; Brett was like a brother to me, his family was my second family. I too, had lost a little brother or sister.  Brett had been the most upset, still not comprehending the logic behind it all. 

"Why does it have to be this way?!" He had demanded.

"You know why..." I had said.

"It's been like this for decades" his father had added.

"I still don't understand!" Brett had cried.

It had been exhausting.

We all sat in silence, sullen faces bleak where sleep had eluded us. The Potter’s living room was old-fashioned, boasting mediocrity with its drab, ash curtains and whitewashed walls.  Charcoal sofas sulked in the hostility of the silence, the rug beneath them grieving.

Due to the disease claiming our region’s inhabitants, only few friends had come to offer their condolences- none of which had been remotely heartfelt except for Paige and her mother’s. Mrs Gordon had called Brett’s parents “reckless” for refusing to choose surgery as a method of contraception. Mr Evans has called them stupid. To me, they were all fools, offering only Brett a “poor boy” as a form of sympathy.

Poor boy. Poor boy. Poor boy.

 I could see him seething in the corner of my eye, his breathing heavy, his fists clenched. I tried to get his attention, yearning to make him feel better. Abruptly, he stood up and stormed out without a word, slamming the front door behind him.

“Brett. WAIT!” I called after him.

Outside, clouds wept, thunder raged, lighting striked – an unexpected storm for an unexpected circumstance. I couldn’t see my friend anywhere. I continued to call out, hoping for a response besides the cries from above.

After an extensive search of our region, I found Brett at the Town Square sitting beneath the overpowering statue of the Master, creator and ruler of the Liserian Republic.  Silently, I knelt in front of him, taking his hands in mine.

“You are my best friend Brett. You don’t have to go through this alone” I assured.

“Why don’t people care Kaiya? Why doesn’t anyone question it?!”

His tears continued to fall, mixing rain with salt on his cracked lips. I couldn’t answer him, but we both knew why it had to be that way. As if reading my mind, Brett continued,

“Yes, I know it’s to control population sizes. Yes, I know it’s so no one rebels. Yes, I know it’s so no family tries to overthrow him but Kaiya, his logic is flawed!”

I still offered no reply.

“I mean generals and leaders themselves could plan to overthrow him! I wouldn’t be surprised if our General has some secret plan.”

“SHH! Don’t speak like that!” I whispered, looking around, frightful that someone would have heard, “You know leaders are only allowed, what, three children to avoid things like that.”

I felt bad to have snapped at him at such a time but he was being ridiculous! No one would be stupid enough to challenge the Master- that would be signing a death warrant.

With a small smile of apology, I sat down beside him, bringing his head to my lap. We stayed frozen for hours, quietly exploring our thoughts, comforted only by the rain drops hugging our skin.