05

I don't know how long it takes to get to the base but the next thing I know is I'm being shaken awake, quite roughly may I say by the same man who helped me on the bus last night.

'Come on kiddo, time to go.' The man says his voice a lot softer than before and a slight smile playing on his lips. I must look some sight to him, dried blood caked everywhere and a face looking like I just crawled out of a zombie movie.

Well at least that's what I think I look like, I haven't seen a mirror for weeks.

I stand up and exit the bus being engulfed into a breeze that sends gives me goosebumps down my arms. Just when I was warming up. When I step down off the bus another soldier hands me a silver tag with the number '276' imprinted on it.

'Stand in the red circle and wait for your number to be called.' He sounds like a bored teacher but I don't say anything, just nod and limp to the red circle my backpack banging off my back.

'Number two hundred and seventy one. That's number two, seven, one.' A man who's name tag reads 'Vosch' calls through a megaphone.

'Here.' Says a high voice and a young girl emerges from the huddle of people. She can't be more than nine, she's so young to be here all on her own. If I'd been through all this at nine, I would have given up already.

I glance back down at my tag, only five more to go. Oh god please let it be warm inside. Please. I shiver and rub my hands together in an attempt to keep myself warm until my number is called.

'Number two hundred and seventy six. That's number two, seven, six.' Vosch eventually calls through his megaphone.

'Here!' I gasp a little to enthusiastically because it earns a few sniggers and strange looks.

I walk over to a woman with blonde hair who's name tag reads 'Reznik'. She nods and starts to walk forward, I follow her.

Reznik leads me to a small room and offers me a seat on what seems to be a hospital bed. I hoist myself up and place my backpack beside me.

'Firstly, I want to apologise that you aren't being seen by our proper doctor, Dr Pam, but since the increase in you scumbags, I mean kids, she has been up to her eyes in it. So I will be giving you the once over today.' She says.

Scumbags? No way did she just call me that. I purse my lips and keep my head down. Why can't they have more than one qualified doctor?

'Name?' Reznik asks me and my thoughts cease. She's holding a pen and clipboard.

'Dylan Caldwell.' I say and Reznik nods, a smile playing on her lips. 'Is there a problem with that?' I add before I can stop myself.

I'm the last Caldwell. The only one left standing. I said I didn't want to stand out.

'No. But my, haven't we got a feisty one here?' She laughs.

'Excuse me?' I say with slightly more attitude than I meant to.

'Someone's got a switchblade attitude!' She sneers and makes a note on my paper.

Ugh, she's just so irritating! I'd much rather wait for Dr Pam than be here with Reznik. But I hold my tongue, I don't actually want to cause trouble on my first day and I was just getting a point across.