Riddles

Whew. Fifteen episodes of Walking Dead later... Haha, sorry! I've been getting some awful writer's block lately. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. : ) As always, please review.

.... .... .... .... ... .....

Korra mopped her brow, exhausted after two grueling full days of bloodbending training. She hated every minute of it, but Amon pushed her and pushed her until she was nearly able to block every one of his attacks, even putting in some offensive damage from time to time.

Finally, just as the sun's setting rays trickled out across the bay, both Amon and Korra lay sprawled over the grass beside the courtyard, too exhausted to budge. The smell of Pema's cooking wafted out over the square, but neither had the strength to lift themselves up to join the others in the dining hall.

"I'm still not going to be good enough," Korra panted, flat on her back with her arms splayed out to either side, staring up at the rosy evening sky. "Sakura's still way better than me."

"But now we have an advantage over her." Spirits, Korra thought, even breathless the man's deep voice could send shivers through her. "The element of surprise on our side. Sakura's not expecting you to possess any tools with which to fight her back."

"Fight for like, a couple of seconds." Korra groaned, tipping over onto her side to stare across the space of grass to where he lay. "There's no way I'm going to beat her, just being able to twitch a couple fingers and maybe an elbow or two if she comes at me. I'll never be able to send her flying, not like Tarrlok did to me. And even if I can resist her bloodbending, what if those zombie things come up and attack me while I'm concentrating on her? So many things could go wrong."

"Which is why you're not going to be alone," Amon replied, shifting closer to her. He stared very seriously into her eyes. "You listen to me. No matter what kind of threats Sakura can throw our way—no matter how much she frightens you—we're not letting you go out alone on this one. You'll have us behind you."

Korra frowned, not liking the sound of this. "Who's 'us'?"

"Tenzin, Mako, and I. And the earthbender and the police force will be a shout away the whole time."

"No!" Korra reacted before she could think. "I'm not having anyone else risk their life for me. Enough people have died already. I won't let you guys do this."

"Korra," he snapped, his voice carrying that deep, cold note of anger that had once haunted her dreams. He reached across the space between them, grasping her chin in one firm hand. For a split second, Korra went cold. The last time he'd done that, it had been in between the looming stone pillars of Avatar Aang Memorial Island. Somehow, even now, Korra found it no less frightening. She glared at him and tried to pull away, but it was like trying to wiggle out of an iron trap. He held her fast, drawing nearer until his golden eyes were only inches from hers.

"You have risked your life for the people of this city countless times." His voice was low with intensity. "If you think I'm about to let you go throwing yourself into danger without anyone to protect you, think again. I almost lost you once, and I'm sure as Koh not going through that again. What would we do if we lost you—the Avatar? The world would fall out of balance. Sakura would win."

"But it's my job to risk my life to save others. The Spirits didn't ask you to risk yours for mine."

"To hell with the Spirits!" he exploded. "I'm not letting you die on some sick twist of destiny. I've failed before. I won't let it happen again. Last time I wasn't there to protect someone I l—"

He broke off, his breath catching. Korra stared at him, unable to breathe at the intensity in his eyes.

"Someone you love," she whispered.