Ending

Tenzin's sharp rap on the wooden door made Korra groan, burrowing deeper into her sheets and pillows.

"Korra," he called through the door. "Pema, the children and I are going into the city this afternoon. You'll want to get up if you want to leave with Asami and the Ferret brothers. They're heading downtown in a few minutes."

"Tell them to go without me," Korra drawled.

Tenzin chuckled. "Just be up in time for dinner."

"Can do," she mumbled into the pillow. She heard his footsteps receding and snuggled up into Naga's warmth. The polar bear dog stretched out beside her, a low rumble sounding in her throat as she settled back down. She licked Korra's cheek.

"Gmph. I'm not getting up yet."

Another lick. A blast of hot air over her face. Grumbling, Korra rolled out of bed and stretched. "Fine. I'll get you food, and then will you let me sleep?"

Naga rolled her eyes and gave her a pointed look, as if to say Haven't you gotten enough beauty sleep already?

Korra shoved her in the shoulder, and the polar bear dog rolled over with a playful grunt. Tying her bed-messy hair back, she slipped on her boots and headed out the door. Like she'd expected, the air temple was quiet. Tenzin and the others had already taken Oogi over to the city. Yawning, Korra stepped up to the balcony rail and peered out across the bay. The island ferry was slowly chugging away, no doubt with Asami, Bolin and Mako aboard. Sweet. She had the island to herself for the day.

Stretching her hands high over her head, she sauntered down to the dining hall, Naga on her heels. A scrawled note lay on the short wooden table, next to a wrapped bundle. Korra stooped to pick up the note, and smiled.

Korra—

Went to town. This is for you. Hope you're up by the time we get home. Love.

—Pema

Korra bent to unwrap the little bundle, grinning when she saw her favorite meal: egg rolls, rice dumplings and a chocolate biscuit. Naga nosed at the bundle, grumbling. Korra pushed her nose away.

"Uh uh. Not yours. Come on, girl, I'll get you some breakfast."

Naga snorted. Lunch, she would have said.

"Yeah, yeah," Korra muttered, guiding her friend along with a hand at her wide shoulder. Korra stooped beside the icebox, rummaging around until she pulled out her private stash of beef. The air acolytes were all vegetarians, so Korra didn't have to worry about anyone sneaking off with her and Naga's food. Tearing off a large chunk, she shut the icebox with a click.

"Here you go," Korra sang, tossing the meat through the air toward the polar bear dog. Naga caught it and began snapping away, giving her an appreciative woof around the mouthfuls. Korra laughed and turned back toward the bay, crossing her arms over her chest. She breathed a deep sigh, inhaling the sweet scent of the wind over the water. The breeze carried the faint sounds of the city with it, satos honking, tires squeaking, laughter and voices too faint to make out. A soft smile touched her lips. She'd never get used to hearing these sounds. In her little Water Tribe village when she'd been small, there had been only silence, and the occasional howl of wolf-bears out in the distance. Then, in the White Lotus compound, the high concrete walls had blocked out most natural sounds. Sometimes at night she'd hear the sounds of the other members of the compound training, yelling and grunting as they landed kicks and fireballs into each other's faces. Korra's smile widened. She could get used to this.

Naga snuffled behind her, nuzzling her shoulder blade in search of more food. Korra chuckled and rubbed her fuzzy muzzle.

"Nope. That's all till dinner. Be grateful."