Chapter Ten

The crispness of autumn soon faded away and the chills of winter arrived, bringing along with it leafless, dark trees, frosty air, and unfortunately, sickness as well. Mia knew that in four short days, her family and many others would be celebrating Christmas and other wintery holidays—without her. Christmas had always been her favorite holiday—full of happiness, bright decorations, giving, and gifts. This was the first time Mia had not looked forward to the holiday of Christmas, as she would be spending it with a bunch of animals that had no clue whatsoever it existed instead of her parents, friends, and sister.

     Worst of all, they probably thought she was dead for sure by now and wouldn’t have any hope left. Mia spent the entire week sulking, and no one could figure out what was wrong. This was the worst she ever felt about being away from her family besides the day she first turned into a cat, especially for the holidays.

     When Christmas Eve finally came, Mia could hold it back no longer. She raced out of camp and all the way through the forest to her human home, where she looked through the windows and caught a glance of a thorny green Christmas tree with sparkly and shiny ornaments dangling from the delicate branches, and perched on the top of the tree was a big gold star.

     Mia looked closer and saw her mother sitting on the couch alone, not blinking or moving a muscle. Then her sister came in and said something, and her mother didn’t reply, so Rina left the room. Mia wondered where her father was. It was Christmas Eve and a Saturday after all, so he probably wouldn’t be at work.

     Mia crept up to her house and stood on her two front paws, leaning her upper body against the house so that she could see the inside better. There was presents around the Christmas tree, and when Mia looked harder, she could see one that was labeled:

To: Mia

From: Mom & Dad.

     Mia didn’t want to be a human again so she could get Christmas presents—that was the least of her problems. But seeing this gift for her—when she wasn’t even there and hadn’t been for a long time now—made her want to burst into tears. Mia let out a loud meow to get her mother’s attention. She wanted her to see her and take her in, even, so that she could at least live with her family for the rest of her short feline life, even though they had no idea that this small stray cat was their daughter in a different body.

     Mia pawed feebly at the glass, and meowed again, this time louder. Her mother still didn’t look over. Mia let out an earsplitting yowl, and her mother jumped a little and looked over. Her eyebrows furrowed as Mia continued to paw and meow loudly. Her mother shook her head a little and got up, then went to the door. Next to her, the door swung open, and her mother wore an angry look.

     “Meow?” Mia said pitifully, hoping her mother would know.

     But instead her mom yelled out, “Get out of here, stupid cat! You’re not welcome here! Get! Go on!”

     When Mia stood her ground and didn’t do so much as blink, her mother grabbed a patio chair and swung it at her. Mia jumped out of the way with a screech of pure shock. She crouched, trembling, determined to not run away. She couldn’t remember the last time her mother was this mean to her in human form.

     Her mom walked up to her, taking large, stomping steps, and swung a foot at her head. Mia ducked quickly and hissed instinctively. Then her mother kicked her again, this time hitting her hindquarters. Mia yelped and jumped up, then ran to her mother’s legs and rubbed against them, trying to get on her good side. Instead her mother shrieked and jumped away. “Go away!” she yelled, and grabbed another chair. Prepared, Mia leapt away just as she swung it, and let out another meow.