Chapter 43

Copyright 2013

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 43

"LET'S GO!" Rose shouted to the Dwarves waving them on, as Rose turned to leave, to go and meet the Dwarf King.

Rose kept her gaze fixated before her, away from the mound of dead bodies, as the others quickly caught up to her. None of them let their guard down, as they quickly moved back through the village. They meet the Dwarf King and his companion of troops, at the hole that had been created within the villages surrounding defence wall.

"My lady, it seems our aid comes to late!" King Thorovmor spoke, as he crossed the defensive ditch, joining Rose and her own companions.

"It seems all of our returns come to late, my lord." Rose replied solemnly.

"The enemy, where are they?" King Thorovmor asked glancing around at the dead and all the destruction that he could see from where he stood.

"We believe that they have left! We arrived to late and had to camp just over that ridge, where you descended. We only descended down ourselves, this morning at first light. We have not seen or heard from our enemy in that time. We have only seen what dead have been left behind." Rose gestured around her at the decapitated bodies.

"Is there somewhere we could speak more privately? My troops have had a long travel to get here." King Thorovmor asked.

"The Great Hall and the Thrown chamber are still fully intact." Tia told Rose.

"Very well, it is this way." Rose turned leading the way back up towards the castle.

Rose had been hoping to leave straight away, but that did not seem to be happening anytime soon. Leading the Dwarf King and his troops back up to the castle, as they passed through the broken gates. Rose kept her eyes away from the dead bodies, she did not want there blank lifeless faces, sticking within her mind. As Rose was passing the sloped lawn, a very quiet muffled sound caught her hearing. Passing it off, Rose continued on.

"Do I not get the honour of meeting thy ladies husband?" King Thorovmor asked Rose genially.

"No!" Rose pointed towards the mound, her eyes drawing towards the castle grounds tree line.

Andel had moved to his King's side, speaking quietly. Rose guessed that Andel was explaining to King Thorovmor, what she could not. Another muffled sound had caught Rose's attention, it was so low, she knew she had been the only one who had heard it. Drawn towards it, everyone else was trying to speak with the Dwarf King, that they did not even realize Rose was walking towards the tree line. The closer Rose got, the louder the muffled sounds got. It sound like a wheeze, like somebody was hurt and could not breath properly. Rose was a couple of step away, when she suddenly stop short.

"SHADOW...SHADOW!" Rose screamed, diving to the almost lifeless body, crumpled upon the frozen ground.

Shadow sprinted to Rose's side, Tia following closely behind. The Dwarves edged forward stopping next to Tia, who had stopped short, on seeing who Rose had found.

"Veronica!" Shadow dropped to his knees, pulling his sisters blood soaked broken body into his, away from Rose.

Veronica was fatally injured, her breath came as a small raggered wheeze and she was barely concious.

"Shadow?... You returned." Veronica coughed out, opening her eyes slightly.

Tears poured from both Shadow's and Rose's eyes, they both knew there was nothing they could do for Veronica. Veronica's injuries where to extensive, it was a surprise that she was still even conscious.