Prologue

Gwendolyn stepped out of her car in the heavy downpour. The rain had been deafening, drowning out all of the noise of the city nearby. Cars drove by on the narrow street, just hardly missing the cars parked on the side of the street.

Gwendolyn had a beautiful figure, she wore an A-line dress that flared around her calves. Her blonde hair hung low on her waist, perfectly curled. In her hand had been a large umbrella, assuring none of the cold pelts of the rain would touch her.

Her driver pulled off as soon as the guard beside her took hold of her, leaving space for another car to pull up. Despite the rain, she wore six-inch heels, hardly stumbling as she made her way up the cobblestones leading to her brownstone.

She disappeared behind the doors, saying something indecernable to her guard. The guard remained at the door, stepping back close enough to be shielded from the rain, but only a little.

They grew restless in their position, sitting in their car parked a few cars away watching the front of the house. They were aware it wouldn't be likely that the guard at the door was the only one.

Their eyes scanned the streets, the night wasn't nearly late enough for the streets to be vacant. The area was an affluent one, a gated community with its form of Gaurdis. They obviously weren't... the most efficient.

They remained in their car, with the engine off, the windows had begun to fog, and it would be obvious someone was sitting there soon.

They took a deep breath, and with shaking hands, they opened the driver's door, stepping out into the rain. The feeling was jarring, the rain coming down cool despite the warm weather. It had been unrelenting as they grabbed the briefcase that had been sitting on the passenger seat.

Even without looking, they were sure they had gotten the guard's attention. He had been a blight on an entire night, and had they had the chance to better plan, they would be aware of his looming presence.

Tonight had been unplanned, they never thought they would have gotten this far. When the idea had come into their mind to kill Gwendolyn Cavanaugh, it was a passing thought.

But it had become obsessive over the months of her refusing her attention to anyone outside of her family or co-workers. No matter how many times they had tried to approach her, no matter how kind they were, she was always dismissive.

It was as though she hardly had time for anyone in the world but herself. It had built a rage in them, a slow kindling fire that had grown over time. When they looked at their cellphone that evening and saw she had posted a photo of herself at a dinner, they knew this was one of the rare chances in life that they had always heard about.

But this time, they didn't want Gwendolyn's time... they wanted her to feel the pain of what being ignored feels like.

If this wasn't the night, why had they been able to purchase a gun so quickly?

If it wasn't the right night, why had she posted the photo as soon as they were online, location included?

If it wasn't the right night, why had the guard let them in off of some flimsy excuse of forgetting their keyfob?

If it wasn't the right night, why were they a mere few feet from the guard and he hadn't so much as moved to defend himself?

Doubt at this point was foolish and ungrateful. They key forward, trying to gain the courage as well as amp themselves up.

It would be easy, this was their destiny.

As they approached, they were shocked by the guard speaking.

"Evening."

The man muttered. Does he think I am a simple stranger? An insignificant shadow on a sidewalk, unworthy of anything more than a greeting in passing. Their thoughts began to rage loud in their mind as they walked past, their face no longer visible to the man.

In a mere three seconds, a series of four events took place.

Second One.

They gripped the pistol hidden away at their side and pulled it out quickly, pivoting on their feet before the guard could realize what was happening.

Second Two.

The door the brownstone began to open, the familiar sound of Gwendolyn mentioning she had forgotten something.

Second Three.

The gun fired. Gwendolyn let out a scream, her instinct not being to run, instead, she knelt to the fallen man who had been shot through the neck, the bullet lodging in the wooden door frame.

Realizing their true target was standing right there, they aimed again, but fate had finally turned its back on them, for the gun had stalled.

The click that rang out caused Gwen to look up and run back inside, shutting the door. The shooter was quickly shooting at the closed door in a rage, preparing to enter the home and hunt her down.

The sound of dogs barking and lights turning on spooked them. As the shooter saw people coming out of their homes and stepping out into the rain to see where the gunshots had come from, they turned to the singular street light in front of Gwendolyn's home.

Quickly thinking, they shot out the light bulb shrouding their side of the street in darkness, quickly running to their car and driving away.

They could only hope that one of the bullets had managed to make it through the wood and killed the damned girl.

But they felt it wasn't likely. Nonetheless, they had sent a message. They would soon be back for Gwen, and this time she'd meet her end. 

Updates Every Sunday -- Follow me on Instagram @/naiahilism for life updates