Chapter 18

Norah spent the following day doing her best to put the finishing touches on the drawings she had. She still hadn't captured her and Caleb or Laura and Davis, but she had found Quinn and Dana. Quinn was sitting on the back of a beautiful horse leaning down for a kiss from Dana who was reaching up for him. It was the moment just before they kissed with their eyes glued to each other's and Quinn's hand was cupping Dana's face, her hand was over his with her other hand using his shirt to pull herself up towards him.

It had never happened, but it was so perfect. It was what you knew could happen. The cowboy and the lady. She had included Fiona hugging her mother's leg looking directly at the viewer as if saying, 'what are you looking at?'.

She had just pulled out the drawing she had done of her and Caleb kissing and put it away where it couldn't be seen when there was a knock at the door. That one wasn't ready, and she wasn't sure if it ever would be.

Lizzy was standing on her doorstep looking beautiful in a white sundress with her hair piled high on top of her head.

"Norah," she greeted with a stiff smile.

"Lizzy." Norah stood aside as she held open the door and Lizzy entered looking around the small house.

"Would you like something to drink?"

"Ice tea?"

"Sure." Norah led the way back towards the kitchen. "I'll bring everything in here it will be easier for us both to see. She took her time pouring a glass of tea for Lizzy and herself, delaying the inevitable while Lizzy sat and waited patiently without saying a word.

The woman must really dislike her, and she couldn't blame her after their last meeting.

"I'll just get the sketches."

When she returned Lizzy was looking out of the window into the small backyard.

"Here they are."

Lizzy moved towards the table reaching for the one of Mason and Cassie first.

Norah watched as she viewed them all. She smiled at Mason and Cassie, gasped at Bryce and Grace, and chuckled at Quinn and Dana's. Rainer and Alice's caused her to pause and look at Norah, and then she found hers and Brian's and she nodded as her finger rubbed the edge of the paper.

When she looked at Norah there were tears in her eyes. "You've caught us all."

"I still can't get a handle on Davis and Laura."

"Or you and Caleb," Lizzy supplied noting the absence of a drawing.

Lizzy continued to go through the drawings, pausing at Caleb and Rainer's conversation sketch and the one she had included of Caleb on the horse.

"You love my brother very much."

"Yes, he inspires me." It was a whisper.

"It's easy to see."

"I know that you wanted individual sketches of everyone but after I spent time with your family I realized that none of you are individuals."

Lizzy looked up at her, her eyebrow raised as if she wanted to argue the point.

Norah shook her head. Her nerves were making her screw everything up. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"You are all individuals but you all are also parts of a whole. You are all important parts of your family but more importantly you are all only half of a whole." Norah didn't think she had explained it any better and shook her head turning towards the counter.