Chapter 19

Norah sat at her drawing table busily sketching. She had seen and done so many things in New York and it was as if a new world had opened up to her.  She had spent a day with Mason and Cassie as they worked on their new Broadway show, and watching the rehearsal had made all her creative energy flow. She and Lizzy had found a happy balance, they weren't quite friends yet but there was not as much awkwardness between them. 

Bryce and Grace had spent an evening with her before they had to return to England, and even Caleb's parents had spent some time with her. Everyone had made her feel welcome and a part of the family.  The only thing missing had been Caleb. He had been unable to join her, but they had spoken a few times on the phone and she had missed him.

Norah had returned home a few days before he had, but he was due home that evening and she could hardly contain her need to see him again.

She looked down at her drawing of Laura and Davis.  To her they were the oddest pair in the bunch. Davis was warm and funny, his artistic temperament allowing him see humor in almost everything, and Laura was very reserved, almost shy, and she came across as very cold and unfeeling. There was no doubt that she was a beautiful woman with her glacial blue eyes and pale blond hair, which was never out of place, but Davis had shown Norah some photos he had taken of her, and they captured a completely different image than the one she presented to the world. Norah had been surprised to learn that she liked gardening, old movies, and knitting. Laura was an old soul who hid it well.

Laura had shared the story of her and Davis's first kiss, and it was such a sweet story that Norah simply had to draw it.

The drawing she had created was Laura perched barefoot on a window sill, as if she were about to jump down her hair was mussed while Davis held her beautiful face in his hands as she looked down at him stunned. Davis looked equally stunned but slightly amused too.

Laura had said it had been such an innocent first kiss, a kiss like her real first kiss should have been but wasn't. She had said it was as if he had restored some of her soul.

Pleased with it, it meant that the only drawing left was her and Caleb's, and she couldn't find it, she couldn't find them.

There was a knock at the door and Norah rose, stretching, her breath catching as one of the muscles in her back contracted, a sure sign that she had been sitting to long.

When she opened the door, she was surprised once again when she saw her sister standing there.

"Alisha what..." Norah noticed the bags at her feet.

"I've left John and I need a place to stay." She picked up her bag and pushed her way into the house.

Not really having a choice in the matter, Norah stepped aside and let Alisha enter, watching while she set her bag down and turned around, looking at the house for the first time.

"Really Norah, you could have found something better than this?" She continued to watch, stunned as Alisha as she sat down on the couch, perching on the edge as if it was filthy. "Where is that dog of yours?"

Scarlett was staying at the ranch and she and Caleb were going to go and get her the following day, but knowing Alisha didn't really care she didn't bother to answer the question.

"Wouldn't you be more comfortable in a hotel?" Norah asked instead.

"No, I would have to charge it and then John would be able to find me." Alisha rose and started to walk around the room. When she got to Norah's drawing board she stopped looking at the drawing. "Who are they? She looks familiar."

"I can't give you cash Alisha. I simply don't have any money." Norah ignored the question again.

"How much do you need? I'll give it to you," Caleb said from the doorway to the kitchen. "If for no other reason than to get rid of you."