4 - Dampened Spirits

The Bee and Barb. A strange name for a tavern, indeed. You scanned the room around you, smirking at the Argonian who was on your tail because of the fact you pummeled Keereva a couple days ago. You found no sign of Maven Black-Briar on the first level, so you decided to look for the woman on the second level.

You found the wooden staircase that lead upstairs, and you strode over confidently. Although, even through your confident walk, your heart was thudding and your breathing faltering. Brynjolf tried to comfort your mind before you left on this little business trip, but his words were no longer in your head.

You crept up the stairs, your confidence disappearing with each wooden plank you stepped on. Your heart thudded in your ears, and your hands began to quiver. Oh, man. . .

You made a sharp right turn as soon as you walked onto the flooring of the second floor, coming into a floor with an abundance of doors leading to rented out rooms. You breathed evenly as you saw the black-haired woman sitting in a chair, fine clothes on her body.

Maven.

You walked over to her, and stood in front of her. You clasped your wrist in front of you, looking shy but professional at the same time. She, appearently, knew who you were -- for she smiled in amusement.

"So, you're the one. . . Hmm. . .  you don't look so impressive," Maven's smile turned into a smirk.

You took it as an insult, so your lip curled up into a snarl, "How about we skip the conversation?"

"You're a firebrand, aren't you? It's about time Brynjolf sent me someone with business sense. I was beginning to think he was running some sort of beggar's guild over there," Maven chuckled to herself.

"You have no faith in the Guild?" you asked in disbelief, given how much the Guild defends her.

"Faith? I don't have faith in anyone," she chuckle softly. "All I care about is cause and effect. Did the job get done and was done correctly. There's no gray area."

"Where do I begin?"

"Head to the Bannered Mare in Whiterun and look for Mallus Maccius. He'll fill you in on all the details," the words escaped her mouth like a snake. "Oh, and one more time just in case I wasn't clear: you butcher this job, and you'll be sorry."

You ignored Maven, given the bad direction she shoved you in. You rolled your eyes to yourself as you turned in the direction you needed to head back down. Your boots clacked down the stairs, the other Argonian employee waiting for you.

He hadn't stopped following you around the tavern ever since you had won the fight with Keereva for her pay. You guessed they had learned their lesson, and took precautions.

You shoved your way past him, heading toward the door in annoyance. You pushed open the door in front of you, the cold wind of the Rift slapping your face.

This should be. . . interesting.

You had reached the Bannered Mare in Whiterun, and your eyes darted around for the contact. You mumbled when you saw no one, and shortly remembered the room where they cooked all the food. You turned to your left, making your way into the room. You saw a pale, black-haired fellow drinking ale in the corner table and smiled.

The contact. It had to him.

You walked toward him, and he acknowledged you almost right away. Except, instead of a greeting, you got a relatively annoyed expression.

"Can't a man drink in peace?" he asked, a scowl forming.

"Maven said you were expecting me," you replied, not returning his attitude. He did have reason for it.