Chapter 20

Snowflight's POV

I opened my eyes to find myself in a beautiful forest.

At first, I was overwhelmed with confusion, wondering why in the name of StarClan I hadn't slept in the medicine den last night. Had I taken a walk out in ThunderClan territory and fallen asleep?

But, it didn't take me long at all to realize that this definitely wasn't the ThunderClan forest. In fact, I gasped as I began to process my surroundings. It was almost as if everything around me was glowing - the grass, the trees, and even a little stream that flowed in the center of my vision.

Oh my StarClan, It's so beautiful! I thought as I continued to look around, my eyes trying to flit over everything from where I sat.

I decided to stand up and look around some more, and even though I hadn't completely come to terms with it yet, I had already realized where I had woken up.

I'm... I'm in StarClan, I thought, letting out a sigh. I was filled with so many different emotions at once as this thought came to me. I didn't even know how to take it all in. Ashfur killed me... What will the Clan think? Or my family?

I sank to the ground again and began to whimper. My whole life was gone! All because Ashfur's strength was too much for me. I had gotten a full warrior's training as an apprentice before I became the medicine cat apprentice, but Ashfur's experience and size had basically thrown that all away. And hence why I was where I was.

Oh, Goldenshine, Lilypetal, Thornclaw... and Jayfeather... I'm sorry that I had to leave you all so soon. My heart suddenly felt physically broken. I never would get to see my parents again. I would never get to talk and gossip with my sister again...

And Jayfeather... only StarClan knows what would've happened with us going forward, but nevertheless, never getting to be with him again was heart-wrenching. Not only did I love him, but he was my mentor who taught me so much...

I let out another shaky sigh, almost as if to try to release my grief. Oh, StarClan...

After what seemed like moons of me being overwhelmed with sadness, I flinched and let out a startled yelp as I felt a tail set itself on my shoulder.

"It's alright, Snowflight," a soft voice whispered to me.

I quickly opened my eyes, lifting up my head. "Who's there?" I asked urgently, beginning to shake slightly.

"It's alright," the sweet voice repeated. "Get up." I then felt a nose lightly nudge my shoulder.

I stood up slowly and turned around to see a beautiful tortoiseshell she-cat. She struck me with a strange feeling, but I was sure that I had never seen her before. All I knew was that I was comforted by her calm demeanor and her warm gaze.

I tried to return the warm gaze as I took a step closer to the she-cat. "Who are you?" I asked, my voice shaking slightly.

The she-cat took a step closer to me, and her sweet scent flooded through my nose.

"I am Spottedleaf," the mysterious cat meowed. "I was ThunderClan's medicine cat long before you came along."

I nodded, my eyes glowing with fascination as the tortoiseshell answered. Hm, Spottedleaf...

I had heard of Spottedleaf when I was very young, and had been been a brilliant medicine cat. She had been killed by one of ShadowClan's fiercest cats, Clawface. She had been far too young when she was killed. Like me, I suppose, I realized, trying to push down grief once again.