Chapter 6

Goldenshine's POV

"Gotcha!"

I meowed with triumph after giving the killing blow to a small vole I had seemed to chase halfway across the ThunderClan forest. After picking up my new catch, letting out a satisfied grunt, I looked up to see that the sun had finally left for the day, and the stars of Silverpelt, our warrior ancestors, were beginning to spread across the night sky.

Realizing how late it was getting, I quickly trotted over to a nearby bush and started to dig up the fresh-kill I had buried there earlier. I hadn't had much luck, unfortunately, considering the drought was causing prey to go to areas with more water.

I snorted as I thought of this. Where's that? I'd sure like to go there!

After I gathered up all of the fresh-kill in my mouth, I quickly trotted back to camp, listening to the coos of owls in the distance, and the cicadas crying out with their usual chirps. Once I arrived back in camp and crawled through the camp entrance, I saw my father, Thornclaw, standing guard for the night. I nodded to him in greeting before putting my prey on the weak fresh-kill pile.

I then turned and walked back to the camp entrance, deciding that I didn't want to go into the warriors den to sleep just yet. Thornclaw's gaze followed me as I began to walk out.

"Not tired?" he asked, concern glowing in his pale blue eyes.

I shook my head. "I'm going to see if I can find any more prey," I answered. "I wouldn't even be able to fall asleep, anyway, I've got so much energy!"

"That typically is your reputation," Thornclaw purred teasingly, licking my head. "Don't stay out too long, or I'll be tempted to go out and look for you. Good luck!"

I looked warmly at my father, touching my nose to his briefly before padding past camp entrance and walking out into the forest once again. I love my father, I really do! I thought, but Great StarClan, him having a family certainly made him a worrier rather than a warrior sometimes!

I quietly purred with amusement at my own joke before gaping my mouth open to taste the air.

I let out an annoyed huff. No prey scent.

If this drought lasts much longer, we won't be prepared for leaf-bare at all, I realized nervously. StarClan forbid.

As I walked deeper into the forest, I tried to think of where some prey might still be stirring. Maybe there's some rabbits around the WindClan border?

Making this realization, I then trotted quickly over to where WindClan's hills lay. Once I could see and smell their scent markers, I almost instantly smelled the faint scent of a rabbit.

I began to follow the sweet and appetizing scent, trying to keep my mouth from practically watering.

But, I then froze as I suddenly heard a rustle come from some bushes beside me. I flicked my ears and looked up to see that it had come from the other side of the border, to my dismay.

Probably just some prey, I thought, disappointed that the sound hadn't come from the ThunderClan side.

As I tried to sniff out the rabbit I had caught the scent of, I heard a large twig snap in half. I stopped in my tracks and stood wide-eyed.

That step was too heavy to be a piece of prey!

"W-who's there?" I meowed, my voice shaking. Being alone in the forest at night suddenly didn't seem so fun anymore.

Suddenly, a bush rustled again beside me, and then I realized with intense fear that a cat had hopped onto my back.

But, the fear didn't last long. No way am I letting this trespasser get the best of me! Hissing, I flung the cat off immediately. I then whipped around quickly, yowling as I leaped back onto my pursuer, landing on its belly.