A Departure

It was 2:30 am. I was still exhausted and my heart still ached, but I wasn't supposed to fall asleep. Vic was going to be here any minute now. I had been sitting up in the hospital bed for an hour now, with little Caleb fast asleep in my arms.

I smiled down at his little hand around my finger. Despite how much I already loved him, I couldn't stop feeling the empty part inside me who knew it wasn't supposed to be like this.

I bit my lip as hot tears ran down my cheeks. But still, I kept silent. I had only lost one other person really close before, and right now, I can definitely say the two feelings are not the same. This hurt on a different level, on a deeper level. I had waited, longed, and hoped for the moment I'd get to see both of my boys. I spent months thinking about how they would look, how they would act, I took care of them before they could even get here. I did everything I possibly could. And yet, that didn't stop death from swooping in from underneath my nose. Death was always out to do it's worse, and this time, well it struck gold.

I heard a slight knock on the door and assumed it was a nurse, and she had seen me cry too many times before that I didn't bother to stop. But then a voice spoke up that I didn't expect to hear, and I turned my head.

"Kell?"

"V-Vic?" I couldn't help it, seeing him made it worse and I broke down all over again. I didn't want him to feel this, he couldn't feel like this.

His smile dropped when he saw my features. He rushed over to me and took a seat beside me, his eyes darting down to Caleb.

"He's...this is C-Caleb." I choked out, clasping a hand over my mouth in attempt to not wake him up. Vic's eyes watered and he smiled down at him. I placed him in his arms and cracked a smile as he held him.

"Where's Hunter?" He whispered, staring down at his son.

I felt my lip start to quiver. I didn't want to think about it anymore, but he had to know. "He didn't make it."

In an instant, Vic's eyes were on mine and I wasn't prepared for the amount of pain that I saw swimming in his chocolate eyes. His eyebrows furrowed together and he shook his head. He took a deep breath in and looked down at Caleb again. I got myself to calm down enough to where I could say something, since Vic was at a loss for words.

"His...his names Hunter, too..." I smiled slightly. Vic looked at me through stained glass eyes and colorful tears. "It's his middle name. I-I didn't want...I didn't want us to, to leave Hunter behind, you know? I want Caleb to grow up...knowing that he'll always have a part of his brother close to him, even when he's gone."

At that, Vic finally let the tears fall, as he went into a full on meltdown like I had went through all last night. I wrapped my arms around him, careful with Caleb in the middle, and kissed his cheek.

"I know, baby...I know." I whispered. It was a few more minutes until he got himself to stop. I knew he wasn't the type to get emotional like this, it hurt to see him cry and I knew that the coming months wouldn't be any easier for us. We just needed time, but right now it wasn't something we had.

Vic handed me Caleb, wiped his face as he calmed down his breathing, and got my clothes. He had also brought a small baby bag with him, with clothes and blankets and little hats and socks. I made sure to grab Caleb's birth certificate when he stood up. "We need to go."

His voice was flat, but he flashed me a sad smile and had me go in front of him.

As we stepped out into the dim hall, me without any shoes and in my gown, I saw Danny down the hall, walking towards us, still far. He slowed down when he saw that I wasn't alone and Vic and I quickly rushed passed him to the exit.

"My cars right there, baby, come on." Vic spoke.

"Kellin!"

I hurried along, and as we got closer, Vic in front of me, I felt a hand grab my shoulder.

I spun around to see Danny looking at me with wide eyes.

"P-Please, Danny...please, just let me go, please." I begged him. He looked at me and down at Caleb, he had to understand. Vic came up beside me protectively.

"You can't do this to us, please. We just want to go home with our son...please." Vic pleaded. Danny looked conflicted but soon, his eyes grew soft and he simply nodded.

"Just be careful. If you get caught...I had no part in this. I'll tell them you were gone when I came back." Danny sighed. I wasn't sure if he felt sorry for me, or if he understood the situation, but I was grateful that he let us leave.

"Thank you so much." I whispered. I smiled at him and Vic soon had us rushing to his car again.

Once we were at the car, I took notice of the two baby car seats in the back. My heart pinched in my chest but I slipped Caleb into his anyway and secured him before Vic and I did the same for ourselves. The car was out of sight for the hospital in no time.

It was silent in the car, the music not playing, neither one of us talking. This isn't how I imagined this day to be. It's not how it was supposed to be.

"What happened to Mike?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"You uncle called me...when he said you had the babies...I was so excited, I didn't want Mike to be the first to see them, so I...I came instead, and...I j-just didn't think...." He stopped talking. I looked down at my lap. It was like my eyes had permanently been glazed over with images tears and I knew I had to get used to it. I felt a Vic place his hand in mine and I looked up, lacing my fingers with his.

This was going to be hard to get through. But I knew that having each other would help us through it.

•-•

By now, the sun was going up, and all the silence in the car made me realize that this would be the last day I'd be in San Diego. I hadn't been out in the real world for five years, and I wasn't ready to leave yet. I needed to do something first.

"Vic?" I spoke. He looked at me for a second before looking back at the road.

"Yea?"

"Can...can we go somewhere? I just need to say goodbye. I can't leave without it...it wouldn't feel right."

He looked at me a little confused but nodded his head. "Where?"

"The beach...on the corner of cherry street. I want to say goodbye to Matty." I whispered.

A/N: Don't go getting all confused on me, Matty is 100% dead and not buried at the beach lmao, you'll see what he means in the next chapter.

Hope you enjoyed it even with the sad part in there, yay! There are like two chapters left, and an epilogue.

P.S. I finished this last night and I haven't slept so I guess I'm posting it now lol, it's too late to sleep anyway, I need to be somewhere at nine lol.