Chapter 9 : First Day

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

My alarm clock went off and scared the hell out of me. I squint at the time with my right eye barely opening because of the crust from my eye.

5:30 am

Summer is over.

School officially starts.

Senior year is here.

And it won't be my year since I had to transfer.

I roll out of my bed and stroll to the bathroom.

I grab my toothbrush and toothpaste to brush my teeth and I take a quick shower to refresh myself. I head back to my room to make my bed and put on my outfit. I decide to put on a casual tee and boyfriend jeans with a pair of black converse.

I go to the dinning room and find a plate of chocolate chip pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage, with a glass of orange juice.

Wow, mom actually made chocolate chip pancakes. I never knew she knew how to make them.

I scoot the chair out to sit to enjoy my breakfast.

"Good Morning sweetie. Today is your first day of being a senior! Are you excited?" My mom ask kissing my forehead.

"Kinda. I'm just a bit nervous." I told her after drinking my orange juice.

"Don't worry, the first day is always nerve-racking. But you will start liking the school as time progresses." She tells me.

6:30 am

I finished eating my breakfast and I was getting my bookbag ready for the day.

****

My mom drops me off at school. "Call me when you need anything." My mom says kissing my cheek.

"Okay. I love you mom." I said kissing her on the check.

This building reminds me of jail. The color of the school is a basic beige color with a blue trim surrounding the school and black block letters stamp on the school "Monroe Senior High School."

As I enter the entrance of Monroe High, I could easily spot all the cliques. Populars. Jocks. Nerds. Thespians. Artists. Foreign Exchange. Sluts. Preps. Druggies. Average. And there is me. Alone not knowing anyone trying to find my place.

"Attention all students report to the courtyard to receive your new schedules for this semester!" A woman voice said loudly on the speaker.

I walk towards the courtyard to receive my schedule. A school security guard escort the students on where to go based on the last name. "A-G" on the left side. "H-N" in the middle. "O-Z" on the right. I walk to the middle aisle.

I had a couple of people in front of me before I could get my schedule. After the boy in front me got his schedule. A black woman with medium length hair with glasses was behind the table.

"Name and grade?" She asks sternly.
"Naomi Jones. Twelfth grade." I said softly. She grabs the twelfth grade folder and searches for my schedule.

After two minutes, she hands me my schedule.

I look at my schedule to see the classes I have.

Period 1 : AP History
Period 2 : Yearbook
Period 3 : Preparing for College Success
Period 4 : Culinary
Period 5 : Drama
Period 6 : Pre-Calculus Honors
Period 7 : Spanish
Period 8 : English 4 Honors

Diiinng! Diiinng! Diiinng!

The first bell rings.

I look at my schedule for the second time to locate the room number. First period I have is AP Government in room 209. I climb up the stairs to go to my class. I finally found it. I walk to the classroom and some students stare at me as I walk in and others was busy chatting up with their friends. I found an empty seat in the middle.