.26. beautiful

I awoke to a cold, empty bed. Usually I would fall back asleep, but I feel like I should get up. I checked my phone. 9:14 AM. James doesn't have work today. I furrowed my brows, throwing on a hoodie and sweatpants before making my way downstairs.

"James? Hello?" I half expected him to be making breakfast or something, but he wasn't. I saw a note on the fridge. Something we'd do if we're leaving unexpectedly.

Good morning, baby.

I hope you don't sleep in until 12 like you always do. Come to our special place. Leave the dogs. You can drive up here, it'd probably be better. See you soon.

xoxo, James.

I raised a brow. What is he planning? I folded the note into my pocket, grabbing my car keys off the counter and heading out.

I pulled up to the closest parking lot, taking the short walk to our place. I noticed a sticky note taped to the top of the chest in the middle of the field.

3-7-16

The code to the lock. He finally told me it. March 7th, 2016. That's the day we first met. He set the lock to that date.

I sheepishly smiled, entering the code. The lock popped open. I creaked open the chest, looking inside. Another note was laid on top.

Okay, good. A little birdie told me you left at 9:20, so this is going perfect.

Now I want you to go to the park. You know the one.

Go to the bench. Again, you know which one.

xoxo, James.

Like the last note, I folded this one up and stuffed it into my pocket. I felt to make sure the other one was still there. I closed the chest, put the lock back on it, and went back to my car. I drove to the nearby park, parking in the small parking lot they had up front.

I walked through the gate, feeling butterflies erupt in my stomach. The park was basically empty. I couldn't see anyone. The walkway, however, was scattered with beautiful flower petals. So I followed the path led by the petals, as if I wouldn't remember the bench. The fresh air flooded with the scent of the flowers was absolutely riveting. I approached the bench, the heart carved with JW + AM still where I remembered. I turned around, my heart skipping a beat to see James standing in front of me. He tapped his pocket.

"Hey, baby." He said softly.

"Hey." I responded.

He took a deep breath, licked his lips, then crouched down on one knee, pulling out a small box from the pocket he's been tapping. He opened it.

Oh my god.

"Aleksandr Marchant, you have made my life nothing but better. Every time I'm with you I can't help but smile. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You're my soul mate,  and I-... I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So, Aleksandr, please, will you do me the honors?" He held the box up higher.

I covered my mouth with my hands. Yeah, I can't even deny it, I was crying.

I nodded. I nodded and I continued nodding. I feel like I forgot how to speak. "Yes, yes. James, yes, of course I will." I jumbled out.

He stood up, placed the ring on my shaking finger, then engulfed me in a hug. "Thank you, Aleks. I love you so much." He whispered, hugging me tighter.

Suddenly clapping and cheering was heard from around us, all our friends stepping out from hidden areas. Joe smiled with a camera in his hand, giving us a thumbs up. I laughed, more tears streaming down my face.

"Oh, you asshole! You got me crying like a bitch on camera!" I joked, trying to wipe my eyes. I sniffled, looking at the ring. "It's beautiful, James."

He nodded, grabbing my hand. "And it looks even more beautiful on a beautiful person."

__________________