Chapter 1 - A New Beginning

A/N:  first chapter, my prologue was originally a short story so... (yh) . Hope you like it; first one I typed currently ( the others I typed a long time ago) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“OH my gosh, Mimi “my eyes darted straight across the road to a sight I thought I’d never see, there standing living and breathing was my cousin. Her innocent simile overtook her face as usual as she ran across holding me in a tight embrace not before giggling or rather screeching in excitement. I maintained my composure my icy smile came off as hard as I felt.  I was a wall, a couple of years ago I would hug her back burst into tears and  have a melodramatic scene with her just to annoy passes by . But that was a couple of years ago right know I was a shell of my formal self, a ghost and as she awkwardly released me from her bear hug I held my only possession tightly in my grasp before gazing emotionless at her and walking away . My heart yearned for family , friends and the undying emotion of happiness but I wasn’t happy neither will I ever  be happy,  my mother’s necklace lay coldly near my chest as I gripped it even tighter no tears fighting to get through I wasn’t going to cry I made a promise not to.

“It’s a Crescent moon , my mother gave it to me when I was really young when joint together like this ...... it makes a whole full moon “ I remember it like it was yesterday her silly expression, high- pitched tone and the annoyingly cheerful routine of pinching my cheeks. She always smiled whenever  it got bad; she didn’t cry but smiled through her pain. When dad died I knew that was all she could take, I knew she was breaking no one came to support her no one, but me yet I was somewhere else in my own little world blaming her for dad’s death; even worse as the words exited my mouth through anger I knew I tore apart a piece of  her heart that she was fighting to get back. Her sanity was at breaking point with all that she had to deal with -a bratty daughter and the bills that kept on piling up, she was strong I relied on her for that strength.

“HEY!! Mitzuki” I was broken from my daydream at a very angry cousin who seemed to be on her way on the “Its time to move on speech “, but she didn’t speak nor did she smile she did something I never thought I’d seen her do before she hugged me and burst into tears holding me as if I was a delicate flower at any time if not held up would break. my bubbly eccentric cousin with the cream skin tone , dyed blonde hair held together in a k-pop inspired ponytail, my cousin high heel wearing enthusiast with only 5ft in height, cried I saw her pain and I knew if anything she would be the one to feel what I felt she lost grandma to and ken who was  more like a brother to her than a cousin and she tried out of everyone she tried and as I reached tenderly to hug her back my eyes zoomed in on the dark sky and the moon that began to rise I was different from a couple of years  ago but I was still the same Mitzuki she knew and loved  and she was the same Yumi  I knew could be my new source of strength.?

Was this sign from mama after all these years answering my call? And after just  a moment standing in the cold night I realised something, Something  I tried  really hard to self- pity away ... I wasn’t alone  , I had family.

"Is this all you have!” I stared bemused at her humorous remake, “You’re leaving for a long time, you need more than two suitcases, I mean look this one isn’t even filled with clothes”. She added pushing my photo frames to the side to show an empty suitcase.   “I don’t have much stuff I’ve sold most of them” I said lifting my suitcase for the 11th time for her to examine. “Uh I guess we just have to go to the mall as soon as we get to America.” America yep that is where I will be spending the rest of my life trying to become human again, this whole move happened so fast. First I was reunited with my cousin now I’m on my way to spend what will feel like a lifetime with a family I fell deserted me; I’d much rather stay here, after all this is my home and mama wasn’t so keen in her sister moving away to a foreign country not to mention her own daughter. “Do you do that a lot” Yumi’s face went serious upon her question and she immediately sat down on my bed bringing me with her. “Daydreaming I mean do you do that a lot... I mean you could go counselling when we get to the states mum thinks you need-”.

I cut her off by swiftly standing up and ignoring her question , I didn’t need counselling ,I’ve been by myself all this time and I was perfectly fine , I was moving to another country  away from my family and friends for her not for me I owed her that.  I wouldn’t see the pity stares from neighbours and childhood friends or the occasional gossip that of course I was the centre of or, the discounts I’d get from local shops cause “I need as much help as I can”. America would be different and I didn’t need reminding how far away from home I’d be. I stared at my now red palm which by any moment would start bleeding from my painfully clenched hand. “OKAY! Okay  no counselling ... I just thought you’d need it you haven’t had much people to talk to after.... I think I should just shut up now “a quite laugh broke through from my lips at her simple mindedness I missed her I guess a new beginning can’t be that bad.