(Chapter 4)

Chapter 4:

Nellie heard the humming almost instantly after Sweeney carried her out of her room.

What is that? She thought.

Sweeney walked down the hall as the humming grew louder and more familiar. Sweeney took a right going through the bathroom door. He turned the water off after putting Nellie in the full tub, gently.

Drowning was the first word that came to Nellie's mind. So many mixed feeling Nellie had about Sweeney's actions. He has always been good at hiding his feelings and actions. Nellie thought.

Mrs. Lovett sank down in the water, feeling completely exposed. Even if there was no bubbles, just water, she felt a little better.

Sweeney moved his way and sat on the toilet seat, right next to the bathtub. He stared at her with his dark brown eyes that looked like a black pit swallowing her eyes into his soul. He didn't blink or move his eyes away from hers, like trying to read a book in an unknown language.

"Mr.T," Nellie spoke, breaking the ice.

He jumped a little as if he was elsewhere a few moments ago.

"Mrs.Lovett," he spoke, his voice harsh, but knowing that it wasn't intended to be.

"What's happening to me?" Nellie whispered, her eyebrows furrowed.

His face deepened with a much sadder expression. He wanted to speak but didn't know what to say. He stood up and took a step towards the tub, kneeling beside it.

Nellie sunk a little deeper in the warm water as if the water protected her.

Mr. Todd took her neck in both hands and tilted it back in the water as Nellie's eyes shut and her head went under slowly. He raised her almost immediately as if he was trying to tell her it's okay.

He took his left hand and grabbed the shampoo bottle and squeezed some on her dirty, wet hair.

"Thank you." Nellie said, not really understanding why she said it.

Sweeney rubbed in the shampoo, massaging her scalp.

A smile approached on his face as he concentrated on cleaning her hair.

Rather it was good or evil, she didn't know.

Nellie got lost in her thoughts as Sweeney continued to clean her. With not much to say, she drifted away in her own world; the world before she told Mr. Todd about Lucy; the world that she knew best; the world that is called her memories.